Better to spend less now on 8G domplats or more later on 16G plats?

Go to solution Solved by Maheshvara,

I'm pretty much at this point now yeah. Sorry if I made it seem like it was like I was budgeting super hard! I have a full set-up here with decent parts, 770, i5 4670k, an h105 which is like my favorite part, such a very pleasing AIO imo. Yeah no worries, I'm just deciding more so if I should go for the 16gigs later when I have a bigger cash pool because they could help with productivity or just 8gigs now because I want them and my friend will be here soon. I should have specified this, apologies. 

16Gb is better.

And i personally think that their look is overrated... They do look good, but not as good as some people say they are...

I'll be needing to upgrade my ram soon and give my old sticks to a friend who's moving in with me, but what would be the better option: spending 120 or so now on 8gigs or waiting a few weeks and spending 220 or so on the 16gig set? I do a lot of digital art work on my computer and usually have many tabs open on my browser, so I figure the extra ram would be nice. Thoughts?

Don't buy Dominator Platinums and get some decent 16GB kit for the same price as an 8GB kit of Dominator Platinums. 

Well given that the 16 GB set is cheaper in terms of price:performance, wait and get that. Only get it if you really need 16 though!

For ~120$ you can already get a 16Gb kit... That RAM you're planning on buying is way too expensive...

For ~120$ you can already get a 16Gb kit... That RAM you're planning on buying is way too expensive...

Maybe he wants it for the looks. Not everything has to have the best possible price:performance. Alot about building a PC is aesthetics.

Domplats are for baller' ppl. You either walk into microcenter with sunglasses and music blasting, and make it rain, or just quietly purchase hyperx fury ram from amazon.

Maybe he wants it for the looks. Not everything has to have the best possible price:performance. Alot about building a PC is aesthetics.

Yeah, when you have the money. He obviously needs to wait a few weeks to get them. When people buy parts because of aesthetics, they usually choose the best bang for the buck, then they look to see how much of their budget is left, and then, after all of that, you look for aesthetically pleasing parts.

I actually DO also want it for looks. I'm going with a light blue/white arctic theme with the corsair air 240 in white as the base for it. I felt that the plats fit pretty well, but I do understand everyone's points for sure. I NORMALLY would not spend this much on something like RAM, but I'm feeling saucy and I can afford it at this time.

Those are good recommendations though from everyone else; I have some blue vengeance sticks right now but those would be going to my buddy, along with my MB and gpu eventually.

Yeah, when you have the money. He obviously needs to wait a few weeks to get them. When people buy parts because of aesthetics, they usually choose the best bang for the buck, then they look to see how much of their budget is left, and then, after all of that, you look for aesthetically pleasing parts.

I'm pretty much at this point now yeah. Sorry if I made it seem like it was like I was budgeting super hard! I have a full set-up here with decent parts, 770, i5 4670k, an h105 which is like my favorite part, such a very pleasing AIO imo. Yeah no worries, I'm just deciding more so if I should go for the 16gigs later when I have a bigger cash pool because they could help with productivity or just 8gigs now because I want them and my friend will be here soon. I should have specified this, apologies. 

Domplats are for baller' ppl. You either walk into microcenter with sunglasses and music blasting, and make it rain, or just quietly purchase hyperx fury ram from amazon.

Go big or go home. They look beyond great imo, so very sleek.

IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK GOOD.

If you really want to rice, rice properly.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181087&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+%26+Chipset+Cooling-_-N82E16835181087&gclid=CjwKEAjws5CrBRD8ze702_2dyjYSJAAAJK9y3cvAwEsMU7CQFJf9FDQGzWLICnPCbSox6ANJvmAjGBoC-1_w_wcB

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

16Gb is better.

And i personally think that their look is overrated... They do look good, but not as good as some people say they are...

IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK GOOD.

Dom Plats dont look good? You need to get your eyes checked, mate :P

16Gb is better.

To each their own! I dig the minimalist feel it has. These vengeance are great too but they're too blue and finny for what I'm wanting. Thanks for the advice though.

Dom Plats dont look good? You need to get your eyes checked, mate :P

Most RAM heat spreaders look like overdesigned crap to me.  I prefer naked RAM or minimalistic aesthetics.  HyperX is about as much bling as I can stand on RAM http://mlm-s2-p.mlstatic.com/memoria-ram-ddr3-kingston-hyperx-fury-8gb-1600mhz-pc-nuevas-13720-MLM20080138538_042014-F.jpg

Most RAM heat spreaders look like overdesigned crap to me.  I prefer naked RAM or minimalistic aesthetics.  HyperX is about as much bling as I can stand on RAM http://mlm-s2-p.mlstatic.com/memoria-ram-ddr3-kingston-hyperx-fury-8gb-1600mhz-pc-nuevas-13720-MLM20080138538_042014-F.jpg

Fair enough, but I don't see how Dom Plats are overdesigned. They are flat and single coloured, nothing too fancy

i got a question for all of you - whats the big deal about domplats? are they really that much better? everyone with a high budget seems tio use them

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

To each their own! I dig the minimalist feel it has. These vengeance are great too but they're too blue and finny for what I'm wanting. Thanks for the advice though.

True that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

And don't get me wrong, domplats  are something i'd buy, almost immediately (i like black/silver stuff) if it was cheaper, i just prefer something else (like hyperx savage black), like ram with minimalistic black heat spreader and black pcb.

To each their own though.

Fair enough, but I don't see how Dom Plats are overdesigned. They are flat and single coloured, nothing too fancy

They're about 3 times the size they need to be.

It's not as bad as g.skill though.

i got a question for all of you - whats the big deal about domplats? are they really that much better? everyone with a high budget seems tio use them

They're binned for overclocking.  So if you're doing extreme CPU overclocking you're going to want dom plats.  For everyone else on the planet not doing LN2 overclocking they're a complete waste of money from a performance point of view, and will perform exactly the same as any other stick of RAM.