Is it possible to put a notebook cpu in a desktop?

So my friends has a inspiron 7720 laptop and he want to build his own pc but to save on costs he wants to use the i7 he already has(in his laptop) and transfer it to his desktop. I've looked up if it was possible mostly people said no but isn't a mobile processor basicly the same but with lower clock speed and some tiny tweeks. so my question is would I be able to transfer that processor from his laptop to his desktop? I am more looking for What are the prblems with it like mobo support or firmware support.

Im sorry if I sound incredibly dumb but it would save us from having to buy a whole new cpu because most parts lose its value pretty quick after you have bought them.

Nope, not possible.

First of all, there is a good chance that the CPU is  simply soldered to the motherboard.  If that's the case.  Reusing the CPU is impossible.  Even on the slight chance that it is socketed and removable, it uses a different kind of socket from desktop motherboards.

Sorry, he needs a desktop CPU.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

First of all, there is a good chance that the CPU is  simply soldered to the motherboard.  If that's the case.  Reusing the CPU is impossible.  Even on the slight chance that it is socketed and removable, it uses a different kind of socket from desktop motherboards.

Sorry, he needs a desktop CPU.

I checked this cpu is not soldered it is in a inytiny socket

I checked this cpu is not soldered it is in a inytiny socket

Thats a pretty DIY rad idea using a laptop mobo too in a desktop but imo thats not something i'd advise you.

Just get a cheap second hand Ivy bridge + 1155 mobo.

If it's not soldered on, then the CPU is very different.
Desktop CPUS have the pins in the mobo, but mobile CPUS have the pins on the CPU.
Not interchangeable

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Nowadays it cannot be done. It used to be possible years ago when there was not so much difference in processors.........

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Nope, not possible.

but why wouldn't it be possible? like Firmware support or what ?

Because desktop sockets are bigger than those for laptops.

You might get lucky and find a desktop board with that socket type, but I doubt it.

but why wouldn't it be possible? like Firmware support or what ?

The CPU physically does not fit into desktop sockets. Its like plugging an EU power chord into a UK socket. Not gonna happen

The CPU physically does not fit into desktop sockets. Its like plugging an EU power chord into a UK socket. Not gonna happen

now you said that and i checked the cpu uses the G2 socket and a motherboard for that is not available(except server ones) which is unfortunate