Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W a good PSU for basic desktop?

CAC1291
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Sure, it's good.

There are cheaper options though: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

Hi, 

about four years ago my dad built a basic desktop PC for my mom. She uses it to check email, shop online, write documents, etc.

The PSU fan is extremely loud, and has started to rattle. After opening the PC up for the first time in years, I saw that it's some brand that I don't know. I want to replace it with something reliable, and thought that this SeaSonic 360 watt PSU would be a good replacement. Is it? 

It would power an older Phenom II X6 and a couple fans, an HDD and an SSD, along with the motherboard, obviously. I might upgrade the PC in a couple years to a basic intel dual or quad core and I hope it would power that too. 

Thanks for the advice in advance! 

Sure, it's good.

There are cheaper options though: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

360 watt would power an intel quad core machine, but would be cutting it close if you were to add a high end GPU

I honestly don't understand why there isn't more of a market for low power high efficiency power supplies, as a big power supply draws lots of power just being on.

360 watt would power an intel quad core machine, but would be cutting it close if you were to add a high end GPU

I honestly don't understand why there isn't more of a market for low power high efficiency power supplies, as a big power supply draws lots of power just being on.

Most people who build their own systems usually overestimate the power they need or aren't building low power systems. 

Psus only pull as much power as the system needs. Disregarding inefficiency, a 250w system would pull 250w regardless of the size of the psu.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know too much about EVGA's PSUs. Are they considered as reliable as SeaSonic? Or close? 

The 500B1 I linked isn't as good as the Seasonic in the OP but it should do that job and isn't loud.

EVGA like many other manufacturers rebrands from OEMs instead of making the psus entirely themselves. EVGA's OEMs include some of the best including Seasonic and SuperFlower. The 500B1 is from HEC though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, I want the lowest wattage I can get so I don't waste power, but something still efficient and reliable. It's not as much of an issue for higher wattage PSUs, but there are still plenty of people who need sub 500 stuff. 

Most people who build their own systems usually overestimate the power they need or aren't building low power systems. 

Psus only pull as much power as the system needs. Disregarding inefficiency, a 250w system would pull 250w regardless of the size of the psu.

my point is that power supplies have terrible efficiency below 5% load. if I have a system that only draws 25 watts on a 350 watt PSU, it will probably draw somewhere around 40-50 watts if it were on a 1000 watt PSU, as power supplies draw power simply being on with no load, and a larger power supply will have a greater quiescent current.

I'm kinda tempted to test the no load power draw of my 1000 watt PSU now. it's probably at least 20 watts

my point is that power supplies have terrible efficiency below 5% load. if I have a system that only draws 25 watts on a 350 watt PSU, it will probably draw somewhere around 40-50 watts if it were on a 1000 watt PSU, as power supplies draw power simply being on with no load, and a larger power supply will have a greater quiescent current.

I'm kinda tempted to test the no load power draw of my 1000 watt PSU now. it's probably at least 20 watts

That's why you don't get a 1000w psu for a low power system? There aren't that many high efficiency small psus anyway. As long as the psu isn't outrageously oversized, the end result is generally negligible in the bigger picture. 

Well, after asking her whether she'd rather pay $50 or $60, she said $50, so we bought that EVGA. It's got high customer reviews on Amazon and Newegg, and that combined with a recommendation here was enough for me to trust it. It'll get here Thursday. Thanks for the help!