hyper threading preformance

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

ur not using less of the CPU power, but you dont emulate the extra cores, witch means more power would be focused on the actual rendering? 

its kinda like using half of your core for rendering in hyper-V, and the other half on your actual computer. witch in fact would slow things down.

i see HT as a kind of "virtual core" just like hyper-V creates a "virtual computer".

That's not at all how it works.

HT is nothing more than clever advanced scheduling of the threads to allow the CPU cores to work harder with less downtime when possible.

Turning it off won't make CPU cores go any faster...CPU thread #1 will take the same time to compute regardless of if HT is enabled or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

For each processor core that is physically present, the operating system addresses two virtual or logical cores, and shares the workload between them when possible. The main function of hyper-threading is to increase the number of independent instructions in the pipeline; With HTT, one physical core appears as two processors to the operating system, which can use each core to schedule two processes at once. In addition, two or more processes can use the same resources: if resources for one process are not available, then another process can continue if its resources are available.

so, an i7 has 4 cores, but 8 threads, and as far as i know, its cause the CPU is emulating the 4 extra cores.

my question is, would an i7 preform better without the hyperthreading when dealing with things such as 3d rendering?

Well, the Hyper-Threading is the one that make i7 perform better....

No, it'll perform worse....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Nope, reducing the amount of core doesn't mean you're going to have twice better cores. 

Do you think they would make i7's and charge more than i5's if the performance was worse?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

HT increases the usage of the cores. Meaning they are working more of the time. 3d rendering and such is exactly when you want this.

If you were overclocking and performing single-threaded taks, then you could see an increase.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Nope, reducing the amount of core doesn't mean you're going to have twice better cores. 

i never said reduce the amount of cores, but using 1 thread for each core instead of 2.

since i was thinking, when dealing with 3d rendering, the CPU is running at stock 100%, so if it could run at 100% without HT..

ur not using less of the CPU power, but you dont emulate the extra cores, witch means more power would be focused on the actual rendering? 

i dunno, it makes sence to me. 

its kinda like using half of your core for rendering in hyper-V, and the other half on your actual computer. witch in fact would slow things down.

i see HT as a kind of "virtual core" just like hyper-V creates a "virtual computer".

Nope, HT doesn't emulate a core, it just runs another thread at the "same" time (they actually switch back and forth), the thing is a core will always have down time running one thread while it puts and fetches the next instructions to run, HT lines up additional work in a separate thread to run on that core.. Each thread will run slower but since 3d rendering and such use multiple threads well it's a net gain.

This is why you sometimes see an i7 post marginally worse scores in gaming benches than an i5.

BTW, thats not official "how it works" but my best simple explanation of how I understand it works

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

That's not at all how it works.

HT is nothing more than clever advanced scheduling of the threads to allow the CPU cores to work harder with less downtime when possible.

Turning it off won't make CPU cores go any faster...CPU thread #1 will take the same time to compute regardless of if HT is enabled or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

For each processor core that is physically present, the operating system addresses two virtual or logical cores, and shares the workload between them when possible. The main function of hyper-threading is to increase the number of independent instructions in the pipeline; With HTT, one physical core appears as two processors to the operating system, which can use each core to schedule two processes at once. In addition, two or more processes can use the same resources: if resources for one process are not available, then another process can continue if its resources are available.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i never said reduce the amount of cores, but using 1 thread for each core instead of 2.

since i was thinking, when dealing with 3d rendering, the CPU is running at stock 100%, so if it could run at 100% without HT..

The whole point of Hyperthreading is that you can't really run your CPU core at true 100%. There are always some inefficiencies, some unused cycles depending on if one thread has stalled momentarily due to various reasons. Hyperthreading increases efficiency by allowing the CPU to work on another thread if the primary one is stalled. If you didn't have hyperthreading the primary thread would still be stalled, it isn't going to go any faster.