Should I prioritize temp or powerlimit in MSI Afterburner?

So I was wondering what happens/ the difference between prioritizing powerlimit and temp target. I want the powerlimit to be on maximum so the card can pull in as much power as it needs but if I prioritize that will my temps go over my temp limit of 90 degrees C?

Cheers

post-220444-0-02704200-1432495734_thumb.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ptttftt

I have a reference 970 and under automatic fan control at stock clocks I am hitting 79 degrees C..

You have a 970 so you will NEVER hit the temp limit, go for power limit.

maxwell isn't made of magic, it still uses a lot of power because it is a high performance GPU.

OT: prioritize temperatures, it's the only thing that matters for longevity other than voltage which you should keep at stock. If it reaches the temp limit, it won't use more power. When it isn't at the temp limit and it needs more power for a bit, it will use more power.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

maxwell isn't made of magic, it still uses a lot of power because it is a high performance GPU.

OT: prioritize temperatures, it's the only thing that matters for longevity other than voltage which you should keep at stock. If it reaches the temp limit, it won't use more power. When it isn't at the temp limit and it needs more power for a bit, it will use more power.

If I prioritize power limit, will it allow my card to exceed my 90 degree threshold temp target?

If I prioritize power limit, will it allow my card to exceed my 90 degree threshold temp target?

I believe nvidia capped it's GPU's at 80 degrees, so no.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Doesn't really matter if they're linked. If they're not linked then generally it's better to regulatw by temperature than power. (As usually the card will only reach those high temps when using the extra power)

Both can cause throttling on their own. I'd recommend just cranking both to the max for a single GPU condig.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Doesn't really matter if they're linked. If they're not linked then generally it's better to regulatw by temperature than power. (As usually the card will only reach those high temps when using the extra power)

Both can cause throttling on their own. I'd recommend just cranking both to the max for a single GPU condig.

But I have to choose between the two..

But I have to choose between the two..

Yeah but it won't affect how the cars behaves at all.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Ptttftt

I have a reference 970 and under automatic fan control at stock clocks I am hitting 79 degrees C..

That is really high, whats your ambient

My 290x overclocked under automatic fan control doesent exceed 70C

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

i have mine set to power limit because my 970 even overclocked has not gone above 70c and i have the temp limit set to 80c which is more than safe for this card 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

I didnt know you had a reference since you can only get them at best buy as far as I know.  Hopefully you didnt buy it from there since its around 60 dollars overpriced.  Anyway sounds like your mind is made up to prioritize temps.  If you are going to use afterburner why would you not create a custom fan curve? Automatic seems a bit silly unless you want silence then I would once again question why you bought a reference 970.

it wont really affect anything, but if you start exceeding 85°C, then just stop OC'ing. Its better to OC within feasible temps rather than to go over that and have it throttle when i gets too hot.

@AstroBenny for crazy 970 OCs, heres a good thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/327032-gtx-970-owners-club/

however, i would not delve in that thread unless you get a better cooler. the reference cooler just isnt enough for good OC's, unless you're really really lucky with the silicon lottery, but its unlikely to be THAT lucky.

"Screw YOU guys, I'm going hoeeme" 

i know that personally power level can be pushed pretty far anyways. I just keep my temps from moving too high. That is always my main concern.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

I didnt know you had a reference since you can only get them at best buy as far as I know.  Hopefully you didnt buy it from there since its around 60 dollars overpriced.  Anyway sounds like your mind is made up to prioritize temps.  If you are going to use afterburner why would you not create a custom fan curve? Automatic seems a bit silly unless you want silence then I would once again question why you bought a reference 970.

I actually bought it in the UK. I bought the reference for the looks to be honest, nothing else :P

Here is the link: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-205-OK

This is the only other place apart from bestbuy to get a reference 970.

I agree with your thoughts though, prioritize temps since you do have a reference card.