650D with H80i Airflow?

Swedishgodkiller
Go to solution Solved by Theo,

So u would recommend have the the h80 as an intake in the rear and have the top two 120mm fan as the exhaust. So should I get NF-S12A for the two top fans and do you think replacing the corsair fans on the h80i with NF-F12 would be benefical?

Its what i have so thats what ill recommend! for the NF-S12A's ive no idea cause i havent looked them up, but what you can do is buy the NF-F12's, put them on the H80 and put the corsair fans on the top of the case and run them at 900rpm or something where they will be quiet and move a decent amount of air, and then if you arent happy with that you can buy more fans but try and make the most of what you got! 

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me decide how to arrange my fans in order to best cool it. I was planning of placing two 120mm fans on the top as intakes, keep the front 200mm fan as an intake, and then have the h80i in the rear as an exhast. What do you guys think? Also what fans should I get as my two 120mm, should I replace the 200mm that comes with the case, and should I replace the fans that come with the h80i?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me decide how to arrange my fans in order to best cool it. I was planning of placing two 120mm fans on the top as intakes, keep the front 200mm fan as an intake, and then have the h80i in the rear as an exhast. What do you guys think? Also what fans should I get as my two 120mm, should I replace the 200mm that comes with the case, and should I replace the fans that come with the h80i?

why not have the top is exhausts and the H80 as intake? You ll get lower temps when the H80 is getting cool air from outside the case

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

why not have the top is exhausts and the H80 as intake? You ll get lower temps when the H80 is getting cool air from outside the case

thats completley false

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I do suggest you put the top as an exhaust and the h80i an intake, but its because heat rises.

You will not get any better temps for putting the h80i as an intake or exhaust.

I am saying to put the top as an exhaust and a h80i as an intake because

1. That 200mm fan in the front is utter garbage

2. Heat rises

BUT if you remove the drive cages and put in a different 200mm fan like the CM Megaflow or something, then the setup youre going for would work "better"

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

thats completley false

err why not also explain why its completely false?

btw as long as your ambient temperatures arent super high this would be true ^^^^^

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

err why not also explain why its completely false?

btw as long as your ambient temperatures arent super high this would be true ^^^^^

-Anubikai

the way you're trying to look at it is, the fan moves the cool air through the radiator, that not the complete correct way to look at it. 

the fans are pusing the hot air out of the radiator. so wether the air is being pushed or pulled, it wont make a different. which is why it doesnt matter if its an intake or exhaust, it will get the exact same temperatures as an average of all the cores, maybe 1 or 2 degree difference.

thats completley false

How is it false? I did it with my own H80 and when i set the fans as intake the CPU temps went down 3-4C.

Your logic is completely false

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

How is it false? I did it with my own H80 and when i set the fans as intake the CPU temps went down 3-4C.

Your logic is completely false

it doesnt matter if its an intake or exhaust, the temperatures difference will be in the margin of error. 

Btw, honestly the best thing you can do is try it for yourself, all it takes is a bit time and then you ll be sure with what works best for your case, switching the fans on the H80 might take 5 minutes max, then run prime 95 for half an hour, repeat and then keep which ever configuration works the best.

Also just a tip, while youre running prime 95 or whatever, do run something to stress test the GPU because that will simulate how your computer will be in a game ( well extreme mode ). Your case temps WILL be hotter than the room ambient temp, so intake-ing air from the room will result in better temps, just try it and see

also making the h80i as an intake will make the fans louder as the fan is against the fan grills.

it doesnt matter if its an intake or exhaust, the temperatures difference will be in the margin of error. 

yes, if by 5C lower on average you mean margin of error then yeah

also for your fan choice, if you're even thinking about the sp120, dont even bother. they perform the same as the stock h80i fans. the noctua nf-f12s, the the reason that other keeps telling you that intake will result in better temps ie probably because he has cheap fans. with the nf-f12s you will not see any difference, and you will get better temps then with any other fans. in my case HTPC with an h100i, there is a 7 degree difference on the hottest core between the sp120 and the nf-f12s at 7 volts,

yes, if by 5C lower on average you mean margin of error then yeah

2 degrees at most.

Wow.....the air outside the pc is more likely to be cooler inside the pc.......his gpu is heating the air inside before ir reaches the h80i......having the h80i as intake then the top fans as exhaust is what you should do.....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

also for your fan choice, if you're even thinking about the sp120, dont even bother. they perform the same as the stock h80i fans. the noctua nf-f12s, the the reason that other keeps telling you that intake will result in better temps ie probably because he has cheap fans. with the nf-f12s you will not see any difference, and you will get better temps then with any other fans. in my case HTPC with an h100i, there is a 7 degree difference on the hottest core between the sp120 and the nf-f12s at 7 volts,

By he im guessing you meant me, i have Silverstone AP121's which are in no case cheap fans

2 degrees at most.

1) I dont understand how you think, if you think the ambient temp INSIDE your case is lower than the OUTSIDE then you must have an AC unit inside your case

2) Even IF it was 2C at most ( which its more but whatever ) why wouldnt you want to take advantage of it?

By he im guessing you meant me, i have Silverstone AP121's which are in no case cheap fans

1) I dont understand how you think, if you think the ambient temp INSIDE your case is lower than the OUTSIDE then you must have an AC unit inside your case

2) Even IF it was 2C at most ( which its more but whatever ) why wouldnt you want to take advantage of it?

because it creates more noise.

because it creates more noise.

Yes if you run them above a certain RPM, im running the AP121's at 1000RPM and i dont get that, if i run them at around 1200 then it becomes audible

Yes if you run them above a certain RPM, im running the AP121's at 1000RPM and i dont get that, if i run them at around 1200 then it becomes audible

the noise level of running them at 1200 as exhaust and 1000rpm at intake is the same. but then the exhaust gets better temps. i don't see where you're going with this.

the noise level of running them at 1200 as exhaust and 1000rpm at intake is the same. but then the exhaust gets better temps. i don't see where you're going with this.

Not really no, i have no idea if you have no experience with computers or if you are a new G.Freeman

Not really no, i have no idea if you have no experience with computers or if you are a new G.Freeman

Noise is the problem, your solution was to lower the RPM, but why do that, as in exhaust you avoid the noise problem and you can run them at a bit higher RPM resulting in better temperatures. It seems like you have no experience with computers. Well you are running an H80i so what did i expect.

Dude, are you doing this on purpose or what? you running a h100i so dont get all high and mighty....your not running anything specia. If you had a beast self made loop then maybe i would try and see if you had a point, but your not. Im running stock fans and my computer is silent with my custom curve on idle and load and after reseating my h80i with arctic silver my temps never go above 53 degrees on stock......the stock fans are more than adequate, different fans just get you that extra 5 degrees sometimes.....if you decide to post again make sure your atitude is better....

-Anubikai

Noise is the problem, your solution was to lower the RPM, but why do that, as in exhaust you avoid the noise problem and you can run them at a bit higher RPM resulting in better temperatures. It seems like you have no experience with computers. Well you are running an H80i so what did i expect.

Yeah why not buy delta fans and run them at 4000RPM. If you REALLY think that taking air from the room and through the H80 and inside the case is worse than having warmer air pass through the H80 and exhausting you must be either trolling, or must never have the side panel on, because then it doesnt really matter.

Also on the "Well you are running an H80i so what did i expect."  What are you, 12 years old?

Dude, are you doing this on purpose or what? you running a h100i so dont get all high and mighty....your not running anything specia. If you had a beast self made loop then maybe i would try and see if you had a point, but your not. Im running stock fans and my computer is silent with my custom curve on idle and load and after reseating my h80i with arctic silver my temps never go above 53 degrees on stock......the stock fans are more than adequate, different fans just get you that extra 5 degrees sometimes.....if you decide to post again make sure your atitude is better....

-Anubikai

im running a 100i on my prodigy. thats not my only computer... i do have a custom loop on my 4770k build. i just like my 2600k build more so i jsut posted that.

Yeah why not buy delta fans and run them at 4000RPM. If you REALLY think that taking air from the room and through the H80 and inside the case is worse than having warmer air pass through the H80 and exhausting you must be either trolling, or must never have the side panel on, because then it doesnt really matter.

Also on the "Well you are running an H80i so what did i expect."  What are you, 12 years old?

If you have, the radiator as an ehxuast, and the top as in take, or the radiator as an intake, and top and the exhaust. the temperatures, ARE, THE, SAME. The only difference is the radiator as an intake, creates more noise, and it creates a negative pressure inside your case

If you have, the radiator as an ehxuast, and the top as in take, or the radiator as an intake, and top and the exhaust. the temperatures, ARE, THE, SAME. The only difference is the radiator as an intake, creates more noise, and it creates a negative pressure inside your case

Not really no... and itll create a negative pressure if you dont balance the other fans intakes/exhausts, anyway i dont think you ll understand that the ambient temp in the case is higher than the room, OR that ive tried both on my H80 and intake is better so lets just leave it at that.