Corsair K70 Differences From K70 RGB besides lighting?

MaximusX

What are the differences between the k70 rgb(http://goo.gl/qgHKft) and the k70(http://goo.gl/fKzsC5) besides the lighting?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

No usb passthrough.

Specifically no passthrough on the RGB.

What are the differences between the k70 rgb(http://goo.gl/qgHKft) and the k70(http://goo.gl/fKzsC5) besides the lighting?

The USB passthrough and software. To properly use the RGB functionality you need special software from Corsair. The regular K70 does not require anything but you plugging it in.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The USB passthrough and software. To properly use the RGB functionality you need special software from Corsair. The regular K70 does not require anything but you plugging it in.

Does the software work with the non rgb?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Specifically no passthrough on the RGB.

So I would get a usb port on the non rgb one?

I'm not sure about this second difference, but I haven't heard many complaints about the RGB led's dying out. I'm hoping they've improved them, as my k95 6 months on has about half it's led's actually working.

yes.

Otherwise would be they the identical?

Does the software work with the non rgb?

You should just not use software for it. Plug and play. The RGB software does not work on the non-RGB keyboard.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

So I would get a usb port on the non rgb one?

You wouldn't get USB passthrough on the RGB, no. Just in case you're not sure of what that is (not saying you're dumb, just wanna make sure you know what it is), it's essentially a USB 2.0 extension going through the keyboard so that you can plug in USB drive and such onto the top of the keyboard. A feature something I personally wouldn't be using much anyways, as a K65 RGB owner.

If you do know what it is, please ignore :)

But they do both get power via USB.

You should just not use software for it. Plug and play. The RGB software does not work on the non-RGB keyboard.

Ok I just wanted to have some of the keys light up like WASD.

Otherwise would be they the identical?

As far as I know the differences are the led's themselves, the higher power draw on the RGB(requires 2xusb 2.0, or 1x usb 3.0 just for power) The lack of passthrough on the RGB (Even with 2xUSB 3.0). The software itself had to be upgraded to allow the RGB control. And the corsair gaming tramp stamp.

I'm not sure about this second difference, but I haven't heard many complaints about the RGB led's dying out. I'm hoping they've improved them, as my k95 6 months on has about half it's led's actually working.

thats sad, 3 months in myself 0 leds failed, have you talked to support?

Are they identical besides the lights and usb passthrough?

slightly off topic, but a couple of quick changes I would make to any corsair keyboard where you're going to be using the WASD keys a lot. Buy the palmrest off the k65, and the sculpted keycaps. (replaces WASD, and 1-6)

thats sad, 3 months in myself 0 leds failed, have you talked to support?

Yep, but I'm Australian, don't really want to spend over a month without my keyboard)

slightly off topic, but a couple of quick changes I would make to any corsair keyboard where you're going to be using the WASD keys a lot. Buy the palmrest off the k65, and the sculpted keycaps. (replaces WASD, and 1-6)

Are you sure the k70 doesn't come with the keycaps? Also is the palmrest better? It appears to be in this pic http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Black-Cherry-CH-9000067-NA/dp/B00IYJD5CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432345407&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+k70+mx+brown.

Are you sure the k70 doesn't come with the keycaps? Also is the palmrest better?

not sure, no, as I said I use a k95. I think the sculpted FPS palmrest is better for me, but it's personal preference. If I was doing data entry or coding I'd prefer the full length one. I just find that when using the FPS palmrest my fingers fall naturally on the WASD keys without having to look if I move my left hand.