Network Switches

ChaseB

So I am looking for a network switch. I was wondering what is the difference between a smart and unmanaged switch was? What does the smart network switch do that an unmanaged does not. What do you like like better? 

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

So I am looking for a network switch. I was wondering what is the difference between a smart and unmanaged switch was? What does the smart network switch do that an unmanaged does not. What do you like like better? 

smart switch has a GUI, you can change some settings on the web interface (using an allocated IP) unmanaged, means it doesn't need any configuration done to it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

smart switch has a GUI, you can change some settings on the web interface (using an allocated IP) unmanaged, means it doesn't need any configuration done to it. 

What do you prefer and like.  How does the smart switch different from the managed switches  

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Unmanaged switches basically do nothing except allow for more connections. 

Managed (SMART) Are the same thing except that can be programmed to have Vlans and other things. Mostly in the IT environment.

All you need is an unmanaged switch though. They are cheap and when you need more ports, that's all you need. 

Managed (SMART) Are the same thing except that can be programmed to have Vlans and other things. Mostly in the IT environment.

All you need is an unmanaged switch though.  

Would I see the benefit in smart

Chase B

Would I see the benefit in smart

Depends. What is your network like? Do you need to manage different computers separately and manage speed etc? 

If you need more connections only for your other computer etc, all you need is a cheap gigabit unmanaged switch. 

What do you prefer and like. How does the smart switch different from the managed switches

I use both. But managed/smart switches tend to have annoying little fans. Managed switches are pretty similar to smart switches, but have more features. You can create VLANs, port security and so on.

Here is a video that explains unmanaged and managed:

All you need is an unmanaged switch though. They are cheap and when you need more ports, that's all you need.

There is a difference between managed and smart.

Smart has limited features, while managed can do more just than VLANs. Managed switches come in different versions, such as layer 2 and layer 3.

The layer 3 can do routing, such as a router.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Depends. What is your network like? Do you need to manage different computers separately and manage speed etc? 

If you need more connections only for your other computer etc, all you need is a cheap gigabit unmanaged switch. 

I have a detail of my new network in the new house on post #10 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/370962-printer-help/#entry5023428

READ THAT POST FIRST

I was thinking of adding a better switch in the closet and then having another one in the office where we need more ports. What about putting a firewall in the closet and no switch? what do you think. 

Chase B

There is a difference between managed and smart. 

Smart has limited features, while managed can do more just than VLANs. Managed switches come in different versions, such as layer 2 and layer 3.

The layer 3 can do routing, such as a router. 

Yeah, but I didn't want to go into that much detail when he is determining between like no feature and features.

Yeah, but I didn't want to go into that much detail when he is determining between like no feature and features.

I just dont really know

Chase B

Go with Unmanaged. 90% of users in a home environment do not need a managed or "smart" switch. You'll be wasting your money.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Unmanaged switches are basically plug and play. You basically plug the cables in and it works. Smart switches will have a web interface to change settings such as creating VLANs or setting up link aggregation. Managed switches will usually have a CLI (command line interface) where you access it via a serial console or telnet or SSH. The unmanaged switches are usually the cheapest. Smart switches will be in the middle. But managed switches can be several thousands of dollars and I am almost certain you wont need it. For you I recommend a smart switch and if you want I can recommend some good switches of any of these tree.

-toxicnos

Unmanaged switches are basically plug and play. You basically plug the cables in and it works. Smart switches will have a web interface to change settings such as creating VLANs or setting up link aggregation. Managed switches will usually have a CLI (command line interface) where you access it via a serial console or telnet or SSH. The unmanaged switches are usually the cheapest. Smart switches will be in the middle. But managed switches can be several thousands of dollars and I am almost certain you wont need it. For you I recommend a smart switch and if you want I can recommend some good switches of any of these tree.

-toxicnos

Please List some smart switches Under 150 with 5-16 ports. More Ports the better 

Chase B

Please List some smart switches Under 150 with 5-16 ports. More Ports the better 

If you have to ask what the difference is between the different types of switches then you'll only need an unmanaged switch. For your home network an unmanaged gigabit switch is more than enough.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

The diference between unmanaged and managed/smart switches in a nutshell is:

Unmanaged: A crossroad without traffic lights.

Managed/Smart: A crossroad with traffic lights controlling what goes where. (all needs to be configured though)