Case for father

KirbyTech
Go to solution Solved by RazerZ,

With father's day coming up I am looking to get my dad a better PC case. Currently he has drives just laying out with cables connected. My budget is $200 CAD but I can go to $300 CAD if needed. I am looking for a server case if possible. Must fit atx board. 

Edit - He has 8 drives in use currently but would likely want to plug in more.

Edited by KirbyTech

Mhmm how much are those Intel NUCs ?

Sorry I thought you need a new PC

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

It would help to list his system's specs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Fractal Design Define R5? Defein R4? Arc Midi R2?

NZXT H440?

Cooler Master Silencio 652?

Which one of those has the max hdd support? Also any server cases you can think of?

It would help to list his system's specs.

I don't know them, I know he has an ATX mobo and a 500w evga psu. That is about it, other than the like 8 drives he has plugged in and another maybe 15 of working and non working sitting on his desk.

Which one of those has the max hdd support? Also any server cases you can think of?

The Define R4/R5 both support up to 8 3.5in drives and have 2 2.5in drive in the back.

But there are two 5.25in slot so you can easily mount an additional two to three drives with the right adapters.

The Silenco 652 supports 7 3.5in drives can support anywhere between 7 to 10 drives including the 5.25in slot

H440 supports max of 6 (I think) 3.5in drive and 8 (I think) 2.5in drives

The Define R4/R5 both support up to 8 3.5in drives and have 2 2.5in drive in the back.

But there are two 5.25in slot so you can easily mount an additional two to three drives with the right adapters.

The Silenco 652 supports 7 3.5in drives can support anywhere between 7 to 10 drives including the 5.25in slot

H440 supports max of 6 (I think) 3.5in drive and 8 (I think) 2.5in drives

I think out of those the R4 would make the most sense since it is cheaper than the R5.

I think out of those the R4 would make the most sense since it is cheaper than the R5.

Give or take, both cases are very similar in terms of internal layouts but the R5 gives some additional features like a better dust filter system and a better ssd mounting system, but your call ultimately 

Give or take, both cases are very similar in terms of internal layouts but the R5 gives some additional features like a better dust filter system and a better ssd mounting system, but your call ultimately 

The way he keeps things dust will get in no matter what case he has. Currently he has his side panel off.. 

How about a good case and a new HDD, maybe a 2TB or something?

What? 

What? 

Why does he have 8 HDDs?  Why do you guys not have a NAS if you need that much storage?

My guess is that he has a bunch of smaller capacity HDDs.  Buy him a new large capacity HDD and a case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($96.47 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($149.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $246.45

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 10:45 EDT-0400

Why does he have 8 HDDs?  Why do you guys not have a NAS if you need that much storage?

My guess is that he has a bunch of smaller capacity HDDs.  Buy him a new large capacity HDD and a case:

-snip-

His computer is the home server. The drives are either 3 or 4 tb ones. Only smaller drive is the 1 tb boot drive, which my mother has ordered an ssd for him after listening to me. The Enthoo Pro can not hold enough drives. If buying a bigger drive was the solution don't you think I would have done that? 

His computer is the home server. The drives are either 3 or 4 tb ones. Only smaller drive is the 1 tb boot drive, which my mother has ordered an ssd for him after listening to me. The Enthoo Pro can not hold enough drives. If buying a bigger drive was the solution don't you think I would have done that? 

I am just covering the bases... you never mentioned the capacity of his eight freakin' drives...lol... what are you guys storing?  Do you do surveillance for CSIS(Canadian NSA) or something?

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for and under budget too. 

I am just covering the bases... you never mentioned the capacity of his eight freakin' drives...lol... what are you guys storing?  Do you do surveillance for CSIS(Canadian NSA) or something?

We are storing movies, music, pictures tons of them, then each person has their own folder that shows up as a network drive. We have home sureillance video kept on there plus it is in a raid config with about 75-80% efficiency space wise. 

We are storing movies, music, pictures tons of them, then each person has their own folder that shows up as a network drive. We have home sureillance video kept on there plus it is in a raid config with about 75-80% efficiency space wise. 

Very cool.  :)

Very cool.  :)

Thats what you get when your father is a network guy. Sucks he is a windows one too, he can do almost anything in windows 7 and older from memory...