Do you need RAM with a heat spreader when overclocking?

Go to solution Solved by Toxicable,

I'm building a new PC. I need an 8GB RAM module for it and I found two, one with a heat spreader and one without. They have a slight difference in price and I am going to be overclocking the system once it's done. My question is, do I need the heat spreader for the RAM, or go without one?

If you're looking to overclock your RAM - which is a pointless idea- then you'd want the heat spreaders, otherwise they don't really do much if you're just overclocking CPU and/or GPU

I'm building a new PC. I need an 8GB RAM module for it and I found two, one with a heat spreader and one without. They have a slight difference in price and I am going to be overclocking the system once it's done. My question is, do I need the heat spreader for the RAM, or go without one?

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

If it's without heat spreader you won't overclock much at all.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why don't you get two sticks of the same RAM?? The heat spreader is nice, but not necessary in most cases. Are you overclocking the RAM?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

No, but go for the higher quality ones from brands such as SK Hynix (Klevv) , Microm (Crucial) and etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

If you're looking to overclock your RAM - which is a pointless idea- then you'd want the heat spreaders, otherwise they don't really do much if you're just overclocking CPU and/or GPU

I'm only gonna overclock the CPU and the GPU. So I'm gonna go with the one without the heat spreaders then.

Marked solved.

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

Not so much with newer RAM in recent computers, but with DDR2 800 for example, if you want to go much higher than 820MHz, you need heatspreaders.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL