What is backlight strobing and low persistence mode?

I've just watched Choosing the Right Gaming LCD Monitor as Fast As Possible on Techquickie 

and I am confused with Linus mentioning "low persistence modes and backlight strobing" at the end of the video. What is this and what does it do in a monitor? Thanks

In a monitor like a LCD screen, the backlight is always on.  Backlight strobing works like a CRT where he backlight strobes according to the motion on screen.  It reduces stress on the eyes, and many times reduces motion blur as well.  Motion blur happens because the pixel doesn't change colour fast enough.  With a strobing backlight, the pixel isn't always illuminated like in a regular backlight, causing the pixel change to happen faster.

@Spiffey

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I've just watched Choosing the Right Gaming LCD Monitor as Fast As Possible on Techquickie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-KHOKM7ck

and I am confused with Linus mentioning "low persistence modes and backlight strobing" at the end of the video. What is this and what does it do in a monitor? Thanks

Strobing the backlight reduces visible motion blur. A lot of the blur we see is actually not on the screen, it's generated by our brains by the way we track motion. On a normal monitor the image stays on the screen until the next image is ready, which results in some jerkiness and visible blur. With a strobed backlight, the image is only displayed for a moment then goes black. Our eyes then perceive the images only as a series of sample points, and our brain can fill in the gaps and we perceive less blur :)