PSU not able to power system under load

Go to solution Solved by blackadder,

Got the same problem on a different circuit. Clicking and gpu power jumping between 44% and 106%

ok,is this a new build? find where clicking is coming from. Check fan, could be bearings. Make sure nothing fell in the psu. If possible change out psu and retest. If it is the psu, unless you bought it many moons ago you can rma, it sucks but, it is what it is.

I was testing my computer to see how much power it drew from the wall with a kill-a-watt meter. With furmark running at 1280x720 with 8xMSAA and intel extreme cpu stress test running I was hearing a clicking sound from my computer (I think psu, not sure) and the furmark was hiching in time with the click as well as the light in my room. With just the gpus being stressed the clicking or flickering didn't happen. At the wall this was maxing out at 807w with just gpus which were running at about 106% power limit and with the cpu added the wattage would jump all over the place, going from 550w to 850w and back down again. Is the psu not able to handle the load or is it damaged as Luke was able to push his "good"  psus past their rated limit on his vid testing if more watts gave a better oc. Or is the  circuit in the house being taxed too much? All that was running on it as far as I know was the computer, my monitor and a network switch/splitter thing.

System is in sig but the important bits are:

corsair ax860

asus DCU2 780ti x2

i7 4790k at stock

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Try another outlet, one in another room or down/stairs if possible. The ax 860 should be able to handle that. Also try a friends psu if they have a big enough one.

Try another outlet, one in another room or down/stairs if possible. The ax 860 should be able to handle that. Also try a friends psu if they have a big enough one.

Il try a different socket

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Got the same problem on a different circuit. Clicking and gpu power jumping between 44% and 106%

laptop

ok,is this a new build? find where clicking is coming from. Check fan, could be bearings. Make sure nothing fell in the psu. If possible change out psu and retest. If it is the psu, unless you bought it many moons ago you can rma, it sucks but, it is what it is.

Not overly new. I've added and changed it over the past 2 years. Il try a different psu. Thanks for the help.

laptop