Convert songs to higher bitrate

Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

You can't add to what is already missing if you want to do that.

I would like to convert some of my songs to a higher bitrate but how would one do that, if possible? I have Audacity if that can convert music.

I use itunes to listen to my music, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Read the LTT Beginner's Guide; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron

Spoiler

CPU: i5-4690k 4.1 GHz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO GPU: Asus Gtx 970 Strix MOBO: ASUS Z97-E RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Cooler Master 600W 80+ Bronze Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced 

You can't add to what is already missing if you want to do that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It won't get better quality magically for converting to higher bitrate (eg. 128 kbps to 320 kbps). You'll have to get high bitrate files first.

This is a signature.

Yeah, as ZetZet said. You would be sampling something that is already has missing data due to the lower sampling rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_%28signal_processing%29

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

You cannot improve the quality of a source file.

You can only downgrade/downsample, not the other way around.

I.e, i can convert a FLAC, to 320kbps MP3. But if i converted a 320kbps MP3 to FLAC, the quality remains the same. You gain nothing but a larger file size with no improvement to it's quality.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's impossible. It's like making a 1080p photo into 4K. Even if you do it, it won't make a difference. There is no difference between .flac and .mp3

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

There is no difference between .flac and .mp3

that's clearly not true

that's clearly not true

Well in sound quality, yes there might be but is it worth the larger file size and less compatibility. 

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Well in sound quality, yes there might be but is it worth the larger file size and less compatibility.

I am not saying that one is higher quality or more compatible. You just said "There is no difference between .flac and .mp3"

I am not saying that one is higher quality or more compatible. You just said "There is no difference between .flac and .mp3"

Jeez I only said that for emphasis. There obviously is a difference but it's so marginal you shouldn't care