Windows 7 64-bit will only recognize 4 gb of ram

Adamzki

Hello LTT Forums.

I have 8GB of ram in my system, but windows only recognize 4GB.

The Windows version im using is 64-bit Ultimate and my BIOS says that i got 8GB installed, but it won't work.

I am using Corsair Vengens 1600MHz on a MSI-970A-G46 AM3+ motherboard and it have been working fine untill now.

Can you help me?

BE AWARE OF THE SWEDISH VIKING

Swap the sticks around, one slot or one stick might be bad.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Swap the sticks around, one slot or one stick might be bad.

I have tried that, but it didnt solve anything.

I have tried that, but it didnt solve anything.

You tried one stick at a time?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You tried one stick at a time?

I did, and i even tested it in a nother system and everything worked fine, i have also tried reseting the bios.

Similar problem here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273562-30-windows-useable
Solution that worked for someone quoted.

Run MSCONFIG
Check to see if selective start is selected.
If yes, go to the boot tab.
Click "Advanced Options".
Deselect the maximum memory option if it is selected.
Also, you can optionally select the number of processors to increase the boot speed.
Click on apply to apply the new settings.
Reboot the computer. Once the computer is rebooted, right click on "Computer" on your desktop and select properties. Installed memory should now show just the memory installed rather than the 2 components (installed and usable).

Similar problem here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273562-30-windows-useable

Solution that worked for someone quoted.

I have tried that now but in Computer it says that 8,00GB of ram is installed but that only 3.95GB is useble. I only have one comment to this problem "Im gonna get a Mac" :D

Is your BIOS/UEFI up to date? when i bought more ram to my system, windows said only 8 gb was available but cpu-z said there was 16 gb, I update my UEFI and everything worked like a charm.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed