if you use an HDD, is it bad to always leave your computer on?

Korepavore
Go to solution Solved by DeViLzzz,

Yeah honestly OP I started turning off my pcs more.  It wasn't like I was downloading anything lately overnight and so I shut them down most of the time. Like GeeZillion said by running a pc 24/7 you are likely shortening the life of the hardware or well there is a chance that you are.

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

You'll be fine. Just note that leaving your computer on 24/7 will shorten the life of your components more than turning it off every night.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

First of all, please don't make any posts with no body. Second, it doesn't really matter.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

well i mean its never good to run your pc 24/7 because it will make all the parts not last as long i always shut mine off at night and when im at work

First of all, please don't make any posts with no body. Second, it doesn't really matter.

but the title had all that i needed to say?..

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

Yeah honestly OP I started turning off my pcs more.  It wasn't like I was downloading anything lately overnight and so I shut them down most of the time. Like GeeZillion said by running a pc 24/7 you are likely shortening the life of the hardware or well there is a chance that you are.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

but the title had all that i needed to say?..

Make the title more generic and add some details into the body.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

S

Well, if your computer is on, the components will be worn down. So obviously you should never turn your computer on at all so it will stay at peak condition forever!

/S

Seriously though, I see no problem with running a computer 24/7 (with the occasional restart for updates and such) besides slightly more wear and tear on the components. That said, most computers will turn off the hard disk if it isn't being used for an extended period of time. Regular backups to external media is always a good idea though, regardless if you use your computer 24/7 or 1 minute per week.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

It's perfectly fine since it will be on idle or go to sleep if you set that as the power options. 

As others have said turning it off will marginally help with the lifespan of components, I personally just turn off my system every night since it uses about 100W on idle which is basically the same as an old school incandescent light bulb.

I've not turned my PC off since i built it a few months back. I just put the power settings to sleep and the power draw almost nonexistent.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

naa its fine, i have a western digital 40gb drive with 18000 hours on it (its no longer used) and i have never had an issue