Samsung 840 or 840 pro?

kiril.zh

I'm considering buying a solid state drive and I was wondering is it worth spending more money on the 840 pro? Here in Bulgaria the 840 pro is about 30% more expensive tan the 840.

I'm talking about the 128GB versions.

The 840 is using TLC NAND which means that the 840 Pro is more reliable and it won't degrade in performance over time

the 840 performs worse than an 830 so i would say get an 830, if you have the extra bucks and need an even faster ssd than get an 840 pro

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

You aren't going to notice any real word performance difference between the two.

I have the 840 pro 256gb version, trust me it is worth the extra money, I have the MSI-Z77-Mpower motherboard and combined with the 840 pro, my boot time from power on to windows is 5-7 seconds. If you are comparing the 830 and the standard 840, (not the Pro) then the 830 beats the 840 but if you get the pro version 840 it is alot faster then both the 830 and the none pro 840. I hope this helped

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I have to type an actual sentence for the post minimum...but one word: PRO!

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Thanks a lot guys! I should probably save more money and buy an 840 pro but I have one more question. I see that the difference prise between an 128GB 840 pro and a 256 GB 840 isn't very big. I've heard that the larger capacity SSDs have better reads and writes. Which one you think it's better?

I bought 3 of the 128gig ones and I couldn't be happier. The difference will be imperceptible to you. The only difference you would see would come from benchmarks that actually can measure the differences. If you need more space go with the 256gig.

Depends on your need.

-> If it's for a media center computer of sorts, or writes will be low, any SSD will work

-> If you want reliability and plan to keep for your drive for a long time or want reliability, where your computer is a gaming system: A MLC asynchronous nand SSD is perfect. (usually have a 3 year warranty)

-> If you want plan to to write on your SSD a huge amount lot where you want to not be limited by anything or care anout anything (like an HDD in terms of writes), or want maximum performance, you want a MLC synchronous nand SSD. (fastest consumer grade SSD, benchmark reflects more real worl results, 5 years warranty due to higher write amounts).

For allmost all thing is the 840 a good choice if you have the money and a performance rig go for the pro

840 is the budget ssd on the market

840 pro is the best performance ssd on the market

They are both very good but I would go with a 840 if you are on a budget because you wont really notice the difference in real world tests unless you are benchmarking it...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer