Linux Recommendations for the Less Tech Savvy

I'm looking at selling an old PC to a friend to replace their current ancient PC. The PC has a Windows XP licence with it (that I could use), but given that XP isn't supported now and the trouble these people have had with malware (as they are not very tech savvy) I was going to try out Linux with them.

I was considering Linux Mint, but I remembered Elementary OS exists. Does anyone have any experience with Elementary OS or Linux Mint? How user friendly are they? Would they be appropriate for non-techies to use for basic web browsing and text editing?

Any assistance or opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks, LinusDropTips.

Yes, I have with both.

They are pretty user friendly. Mint is more towards the 'windows' users while Elementary towards 'OSx', however they are both equally easy and manageable.

They'd both rock on that areas. I find Elementary more streamline and simple, it has less stuff out of the box, but enough to do many tasks, including those you mention.

In my experience both are pretty lightweight, but Elementary was the lightest OS. If the computer is pretty old (something like a 32bit CPU with 1GB of ram), then go for Elementary. If you have more spare juice, you might find Mint's extra utilities handy.

Thanks for the responses. I've used Mint a little, but never Elementary OS. I think I will try out Elementary with them, I can always change it later if needed as they aren't heavy users. Just out of interest what is the difference between Mint Cinnamon and Min MATE (as far as I understand they are just different desktop enviroments)?

If i recall, Zorin OS is the closest Linux distro you can get, to Windows.

Although Linux Mint/Ubuntu/OpenSUSE/Sparky are some others to look into.

With Ubuntu being the most "noob-friendly".

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I remember when I was like 15 years old I managed to install Ubuntu in dual boot with windows xp, it was pretty easy following instructions and stuff. The OS was very user friendly.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

Linux Mint (LTS), Ubuntu or as already stated Zorin-Os are the best for the less tech savy people/anyone new to Linux. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My family uses Mint and its awesome. My daughters pc is an ancient emachines 1300 with a athlon 2650e cpu and 2 gigs Ram. I thought a lightweight Linux would be best so I put on LXLE. Replacing windows with LXLE made it quite fast. Mint  flys on my x3 with only 4 gigs or slow ddr2 mem. 

Mint for sure if coming from always using a windows desktop. If you have used OS X then Ubuntu or eOS should be fine.

Awesome, I think I'm going to try out Mint with them, the cinnamon desktop looks nice and user-friendly :)

Awesome, I think I'm going to try out Mint with them, the cinnamon desktop looks nice and user-friendly :)

If it's older hardware

MATE > Cinnamon

Trust me

If you haven't tried it out, Ubuntu is worth taking a look at at least. Ubuntu is more like OS X in it's interface, so if you're into that it's great.

Mint is more like Windows in it's interface.

However, both are very user friendly and easy to use.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

If you haven't tried it out, Ubuntu is worth taking a look at at least. Ubuntu is more like OS X in it's interface, so if you're into that it's great.

Mint is more like Windows in it's interface.

However, both are very user friendly and easy to use.

Having used Ubuntu quite a bit myself I can guarentee that my friends won't get on with Unity. I think Linux Mint is the way to go for them, but I don't really know if they would prefer Mate or Cinnamon, does anyone have any recommendations either way? Thanks.

Here is a link to a good article that i found might help:  https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint#TOC-Pick-your-flavour:-Cinnamon-Mate-Xfce-or-KDE 

I use cinnamon and I love it. My wife who is not tech savy hated it till she found the pretty pictures for changing the desktop. It's duel boot and no one uses the Windows Partition anymore.

I prefer Opera wife like chrome for browsing.  She also really loves the LXLE install I did on my daughters emachines 1300. I felt a light weight Linux would be best since it is so underpowered.

She likes that LXLE has better pictures for the desktop. Hope this helps

I'm looking at selling an old PC to a friend to replace their current ancient PC. The PC has a Windows XP licence with it (that I could use), but given that XP isn't supported now and the trouble these people have had with malware (as they are not very tech savvy) I was going to try out Linux with them.

I was considering Linux Mint, but I remembered Elementary OS exists. Does anyone have any experience with Elementary OS or Linux Mint? How user friendly are they? Would they be appropriate for non-techies to use for basic web browsing and text editing?

Any assistance or opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks, LinusDropTips.

Zorin is a great OS for transitioning from Windows, although I'd go with the lite version if you're coming from XP.  Linux Lite is also very beginner friendly, as is Pinguy OS.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Ubuntu is pretty slick stuff these days with how much Unity has matured. I would recommend trying out 15.04 as Mint and others (Elementary) have turned to a rolling release model based on 14.04 LTS. So if you go that route you won't be on the latest and greatest that the Linux community has to offer. You can always install Cinnamon on Ubuntu anyways if you're not a big fan of Unity. Although I think Ubuntu would be the best place to start. Especially with out of the box compatibility with most software and you can easily dive right into tweaking Compiz for the cool special effects and all that jazz simply by installing CCSM.

Here's 14.04 (old screenshot) with just a new GTK theme and icon set and a few Compiz settings turned on (opacity, wobbly windows, etc).

j5X35Zp.png

Deepin is also a pretty slick distro, however i'm not sure it will run smoothly on your aging hardware.

Lord of Helium.