Xbox 360 on Asus VG278H?

Blankie440

Hey all,

I was wondering, if I got the Asus VG278H would it support my 360 @120Hz and possibly 3D through the HDMI or would I be required to use an HDMI to DVI adapter?

3D won't work since the Xbox does not support it and it might run it at 120Hz not entirely sure.

I'm more interested in the 120Hz than anything else.

An xbox runs on 30 FPS on most games. So no, it will not work.

I know this fact but that doesn't mean it won't run at 120Hz. What you gave me was the amount of frames per second an average game runs at and I want to know how many frames per second the monitor will run at displaying those frames.

I already found this link stating some of the info I'm looking for.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=14&t=2182

Also I found a link showing some Xbox 360 games that work in 3D: http://www.3dtested.com/3d-xbox-360-games-list/

To my knowledge, xbox 360 outputs at 60hz even if playing 30fps games. As the hdmi on the xbox is an old version it cannot support 1920x1080@120hz, only at 60hz. A HDMI to DVI-D adapter will not help as the HDMI cannot carry 120hz so there's no way it can give 120hz to the DVI.

Thanks for the info 002! I'm just wondering now since it's limit is 60Hz over HDMI if I can run games at 30fps in 3D at 60Hz....lol. From what I've read it seems possible with an HDMI to DVI cable (single link), which I already have. If anyone has tried this or has seen it work/fail please let me know.

Whether or not you will be able to run 3D games depends on the game in question and the display you are using. I'm not too knowledgeable on xboxes but an example I know of is Black Ops (the original) which had a stereoscpic 3D setting. This required a "compatible 3D TV". This is too vague for me to judge whether it will work on a monitor at all. To be honest I would not get my hopes up as the VG278H is certified for Nvidia 3D vision which xbox certainly does not support. However how the xbox does 3D is a mystery to me so the only way to find out would be to get a game you know supports 3D on xbox (terrible as it is, black ops is the only one I know) and testing it. HDMI to single link DVI shouldn't make a difference however as the signal is identical over both. Aside from xbox gaming the VG278H would be perfect for PC 3D application, but thats not what you're going for. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but like I said this isn't exactly my area of expertise and the lack of xbox 3D documentation doesn't help.

Update: This video

shows the process on a 3D TV so if you do get the monitor you might find it useful as a guide.

3D will only work if the xbox is capable of outputting a 3D image else it will not.

Whether or not you will be able to run 3D games depends on the game in question and the display you are using. I'm not too knowledgeable on xboxes but an example I know of is Black Ops (the original) which had a stereoscpic 3D setting. This required a "compatible 3D TV". This is too vague for me to judge whether it will work on a monitor at all. To be honest I would not get my hopes up as the VG278H is certified for Nvidia 3D vision which xbox certainly does not support. However how the xbox does 3D is a mystery to me so the only way to find out would be to get a game you know supports 3D on xbox (terrible as it is' date=' black ops is the only one I know) and testing it. HDMI to single link DVI shouldn't make a difference however as the signal is identical over both. Aside from xbox gaming the VG278H would be perfect for PC 3D application, but thats not what you're going for. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but like I said this isn't exactly my area of expertise and the lack of xbox 3D documentation doesn't help. Update: This video [url']
shows the process on a 3D TV so if you do get the monitor you might find it useful as a guide.

Actually the main reason I'm getting the monitor is to play PC games in @120Hz/3D. I play Diablo 3 alot and will be putting the 3D to work there the most. Thanks for the input, I'll have to give that a try.

One of the things you'll need to be aware of is that to use HDMI at 1920x1080@120hz (which is required for 3D vision) you need to make sure that both the HDMI output and your HDMI cable are revision 1.4 or newer. Personally I'm getting a Benq xl2420t on saturday which comes with a dual link DVI cable so considering that the VG278H is a little more expensive you'll probably get all the cables you need with it anyway.

No HDMI included but no big deal there. The dual link dvi is included though. Thanks for the info!

120Hz monitors are not only great for PC gaming, but benefit consoles as well. While it is true that 60fps is the best your going to get out of a console game, that does not mean that it will not benefit from a 120Hz monitor. When using one on a console, you'll get less ghosting (better response time), more solid like a CRT monitor. and that's pretty huge for me.

Ice Cream Man's Computer -3770K @4.5ghz- P8Z77-V PRO -Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 4 GB -Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866mhz -Corsair AX750 Gold -WD 2TB Black -M4 128GB SSD

I think you need to be using the dual link DVI for 120hz. I don't think it possible over HDMI and furthermore how would the 360 benefit from it? Most 360 games run at a spotty 30FPS and movie playback would only be around 24.

I'd only be using the HDMI port for my xbox 360 and will be using the dual link DVI for my PC. With the fast 2ms response time the 360 should seem smoother. Also the 120Hz should give me a smoother transition between frames so less tearing and ghosting of the image. I'll let you all know how well it works on both my PC and my 360 once I get it, for 120Hz as well as 3D gameplay.