Is it worth upgrading my CPU

Hi, just wondering if it is worth upgrading my CPU.

I'm currently running an i5 3340 with a gtx 970.

I'm looking at a i5 4690k, is it worth the change? I was mainly looking into this after reading the system requirments for the upcomming Arkham Knight and noticed the recomended is a i7 3770.

Thanks in advance.

4690k is also a different socket. You would also have to change motherboard. I would say it's better to wait and find out how much of an issue it would be. But i doubt it will be worth it. 

Edit: it seems 4690k has better single thread performance. But that's pretty much it.Unless you're into overclocking. I would be surprised if Arkham Knight was badly optimised.

4690k is also a different socket. You would also have to change motherboard.

I was aware of that and I will be doing that. It was mainly to compare the two CPUs to see if people thought there was enough difference to warrent the upgrade. Thanks anyway though :)

4690k is also a different socket. You would also have to change motherboard. I would say it's better to wait and find out how much of an issue it would be. But i doubt it will be worth it. 

Edit: it seems 4690k has better single thread performance. But that's pretty much it.Unless you're into overclocking. I would be surprised if Arkham Knight was badly optimised.

well the 4690k just meets the recomended. But is that single thread performance worth the upgrade? Or should I go higher if I want to upgrade?

well the 4690k just meets the recomended. But is that single thread performance worth the upgrade? Or should I go higher if I want to upgrade?

I suggest waiting until the game is out. And then looking at the benchmarks. Or if you're know you gonna play it no matter what, just buy the game. And then you'll know. And i would bet that frame rates will be acceptable with your current gear. What resolution is your monitor?

I hate updating for the future, because there's always something more demanding down the road. It makes better sense for me to upgrade only once your current setup performance is below the level you find comfortable. It doesnt take long to switch out parts. 

Hi, just wondering if it is worth upgrading my CPU.

I'm currently running an i5 3340 with a gtx 970.

I'm looking at a i5 4690k, is it worth the change? I was mainly looking into this after reading the system requirments for the upcomming Arkham Knight and noticed the recomended is a i7 3770.

Thanks in advance.

Probably not. Don't believe the hype on system requirements before a game is released; wait for actual benchmarks. Everyone was freaking out when Shadow of Mordor was recommending an i7-3770 and once it released we came to find out it runs just as well on an i3.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Can't go by system requirements, also your processor is still decently strong.  If you own a Z series motherboard, just buy a compatible unlocked 1155 chip and you're performing the same as the modern processors.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ah right, see I thought a lot of this was the case, but I couldn't find direct information saying these thing and i'm pretty new at tinkering with my PC.

I don't own a Z series motherboard, I have a GA h61mds2 dvi. I will be getting a motherboard with a 1150 socket eventually as they seem to include a lot of higher CPUs.

I'll hold off for now, but is it worth upgrading to the 4690k when I do get around to it?

Ah right, see I thought a lot of this was the case, but I couldn't find direct information saying these thing and i'm pretty new at tinkering with my PC.

I don't own a Z series motherboard, I have a GA h61mds2 dvi. I will be getting a motherboard with a 1150 socket eventually as they seem to include a lot of higher CPUs.

I'll hold off for now, but is it worth upgrading to the 4690k when I do get around to it?

Yes, and you could probably sell your CPU and Mobo you currently own for a decent amount.  At least $150.  Check ebay sold listings to see what they have sold for recently.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

So the difference between the 3340 and 4690k is large enough to justify the upgrade eventually?

So the difference between the 3340 and 4690k is large enough to justify the upgrade eventually?

I don't think so, the i5-3340 is a pretty strong gaming CPU. I'd wait to see if Skylake is worth it before I thought of upgrading. What's your GPU though and what games do you play?

It's the gtx 970 asus strix. And I play things like batman, obviously, borderlands 2, skyrim, the witcher series, titanfall, gta V.

This post is more to acertain what step up is enough to justify a upgrade. or should I be going for lik an i7 4790k to make it a worthwhile upgrade?

I think the 4690K would be a pretty noticeable improvement if you overclock it. If I remember correctly you can't overclock the 3340 so your locked at 3.1ghz. The 4690K you'll get at least 4.2 - 4.6.

Ignore system requirements on games please.

It says an i7 3770K because that's what they bothered to test it with, or even worse it's a CPU that they guessed will be enough to run it well.  It will not require one.  It's the go to recommendation, just like the 8350.  They pull it out of their fucking ass and put it on the box.  This is often why you'll see stuff like "recommended AMD: Radeon 7870 Recommended Nvidia: GTX 770" even though there's a huge power difference between the two.  Typically, they look at what the most common components are for each brand and recommend something in the upper mid range.  In my above example (which I've seen a game actually do) it's because they are two of the most popular GPU's from either manufacturer so the dev makes sure to test them.

If you have any Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5, you DO NOT need to upgrade any time soon.  Your 970 will work perfectly fine on your current CPU.  (Even Sandy Bridge is perfectly fine, but tends to require some overclocking.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Thats great thanks :).

I know I don't need to but if I was wanting to upgrade, should I go further or is the 4690k enough of an improvement in peoples opinion