970 or 980?

neato

Hi,

I currently am looking at getting a GTX 970 Galax HOF (Mainly because it's white and I have a white S340) but want to know if I should just go for 970 or wait a bit for the 980? I am gaming on a 1080P display, I also play games like GTA V and Dying Light and am looking to get Witcher 3.

Thanks.

At 1080p, the GTX 970 will be enough. If you plan to play 1440p, I'd get a GTX 980. The 970 can handle 1440p, but for games like Witcher 3, it might not be able to. But, if it's strictly 1080p, the 970 will be fine!

I don't really see a reason for going with a 980 for 1080p unless you really like your filters maxed out. I don't think it is worth the price difference.

Get the 970, for 1080p it's the perfect card. Not worth spending all that extra money for a GPU that you don't even need...

Or bragging rights, there's always bragging rights...

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Dont they have the HOF 980 too?

If you have a budget you can go for the 980. I dont get what you mean by saying to "wait"  for the 980, as its already been relased.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Dont they have the HOF 980 too?

If you have a budget you can go for the 980. I dont get what you mean by saying to "wait"  for the 980, as its already been relased.

I meant wait as in save money for a bit of time so I can afford the 980.

I meant wait as in save money for a bit of time so I can afford the 980.

Ah. I think a 970 will be able to do you well for the moment. You can always grab another 970 to put it in SLI later.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

2 x 970s > 980

Tbh 980s should never be considered unless going SLI, then there is the Titan X so the 980 seems extremely pointless tbh

I don't play GTAV so I'm not sure, but I know that with Skyrim, any single card is better than any SLI / crossfire setup, for a modded game (with ENB). Scaling is almost non existent. I'm not sure what kind of shader mods for GTAV there are, but I would look into that (if you want to mod GTAV).

I don't play GTAV so I'm not sure, but I know that with Skyrim, any single card is better than any SLI / crossfire setup, for a modded game (with ENB). Scaling is almost non existent. I'm not sure what kind of shader mods for GTAV there are, but I would look into that (if you want to mod GTAV).

Em, what?

He didn't list Skyrim.......................................

Wtf are you talking about, is this the wrong thread?

Get the 970, there's little to no point saving money for the 980, if you really want to save money save it for a second 970 and run it in SLI.

I had same problem few weeks ago. I personally am going with one GTX 980 but i'm waiting for GTX 980ti to get released (and i'm hoping that prices will drop). But If you don't want to wait, just go with one GTX 970 and later on SLI them together.

Hope this will help make your mind!

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

Em, what?

He didn't list Skyrim.......................................

Wtf are you talking about, is this the wrong thread?

ENB is a shader mod for Skyrim. It does not scale well with multiple cards. What I meant by this example was that he should look into how mods scale in GTAV if that is something he is planning on doing. I know he didn't mention Skyrim. It just might be beneficial for him to go with one, better card over two lower powered cards if he wants to mod (or it might not be, I don't know, I don't play GTAV).

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

ENB is a shader mod for Skyrim. It does not scale well with multiple cards. What I meant by this example was that he should look into how mods scale in GTAV if that is something he is planning on doing. I know he didn't mention Skyrim. It just might be beneficial for him to go with one, better card over two lower powered cards if he wants to mod (or it might not be, I don't know, I don't play GTAV).

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

Yes I know what an ENB is but GTA V takes advantage of 2 GPUs unlike Skyrim so he should be fine :)

For most normal people, just get a 970.  

980 is for crazy people.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Yes I know what an ENB is but GTA V takes advantage of 2 GPUs unlike Skyrim so he should be fine :)

Cool. Sorry for the confusion then.