Cable Management Optimized PSU

Giddyguy

I was watching a Linus build guide and when he was installing the power supply, I had and interesting idea. Why don't Power Supply makers create a power supply that has all the cables (or connections for modular ones) on the left side of the power supply so that when it is mounted in the case the cables go directly behind behind the motherboard tray. This way we wouldn't see any cables at all. What do you guys think? (has this been done before?)

I'm not sure if this has been done already but if not and some company does this I want 10% of profits and LinusMediaGroups to get 5% of profits and free pizza whenever they do the WAN show XD.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

A lot of power supplies are like this.  Then you have people complain that when they put the power supply in Fan up, the cables are all too far to the right.  Look at the Corsair GS series for example, the big hole where all the cables start from is on the very far left of the power supply.

EDIT: Okay I see what you mean now.  Disregard.

Most cases mount the power supply down anyways, allowing most of the cables to be more towards the right, allowing cables to extend further so extenders aren't necessary. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Quite a lot of people dont have vents on the bottem of their case. By bunching up the cables you are pissing off half of the market, its a good idea in theory but it will be a while before companies fully utilize it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It may be unclear what he is saying, but I believe what he meant was that the cables come out of the other face of the power supply. To paint a picture: usually the cables come out of the side opposite of where the AC plug goes in. He means the Left face of the PSU.

2J3ZsWy.jpg

It may be unclear what he is saying, but I believe what he meant was that the cables come out of the other face of the power supply.

To paint a picture: usually the cables come out of the side opposite of where the AC plug goes in.  He means the Left face of the PSU.

So...with the fan facing down...the side that would go against the case?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It may be unclear what he is saying, but I believe what he meant was that the cables come out of the other face of the power supply.

To paint a picture: usually the cables come out of the side opposite of where the AC plug goes in.  He means the Left face of the PSU.

I believe this is what he means and it would be a smart idea however some cases dont have room on the back of the motherboard tray to route cables (the cheap prebuild pc's)

Edit:

I believe he means like this here (green being the new cables). So when it is put fan side down the cables go directly behind the motherboard and no cables are visible to the user.

0476a934f7b75d3a73b55bb388fb9375.png

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

The only issue with this is if you do fan up or fan down the cable might come out the wrong side.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

The only issue with this is if you do fan up or fan down the cable might come out the wrong side.

Yeah this is probably why nobody ever does anything non-standard in the PSU business. They don't want to limit customers to their products based on what case they had.

If they were to exist, obviously you wouldn't buy it if you planned to fan up bottom mount your PSU, but that cuts your potential customers too much for businesses to make it.

It would be a cool idea though for a PSU manufacturer to make it.  Maybe it will stand out enough so that people will buy this specially designed PSU over the standard and make it worthwhile to manufacture.

I'm thinking that if anybody were to try to implement this, it would be Corsair, because they sell both cases and PSUs and they could easily ensure compatibility on all of their own cases, and people would probably buy this shit up for the pretty factor of no cables.

wouldn't it be easier to mount the hole psu 90° rotated? 95% of all psus are only 160mm long.and many cases are over 190mm wide or more. Like in the Silverstone SG09 but with a normal psu position

wouldn't it be easier to mount the hole psu 90° rotated? 95% of all psus are only 160mm long.and many cases are over 190mm wide or more. Like in the Silverstone SG09 but with a normal psu position

This would make both ends that have connectors need to be routed at an angle so that they would both fit.

There are right angle AC wall cables, which would probably only take a few mm of space, but as far as I know, I've never seen right-angle modular connectors on a power supply, and the nonmodular cables on power supplies, especially like the 24 pin, are probably too stiff to turn 90 degrees in a such a small space.

yup fletch to 99 thats what i was thinking (with the picture)

yea i thought of that but i was thinking that the people buying this would probably be enthusiasts who have high end cases with intake from the bottom.

oh well it was just a spontaneous idea. i think id be cool tho

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Cases would have to be re-designed.

This would make both ends that have connectors need to be routed at an angle so that they would both fit.

There are right angle AC wall cables, which would probably only take a few mm of space, but as far as I know, I've never seen right-angle modular connectors on a power supply, and the nonmodular cables on power supplies, especially like the 24 pin, are probably too stiff to turn 90 degrees in a such a small space.

the 90° AC cable needs maybe 5mm. If you would go with a 200mm case you would have 35mm left for cablerouting. nonmodular psu cables are way easyier to bend then modular, with modular psus you lose 5-8mm because of the connector. It has bin done in other cases, but not at the standard psu position. but i think it would be cool if it would be possible to route your cables staight up behind the motherboard tray.