overclocking problem.

Hello.

I have a FX 4300 in my pc, and it is currently overclocked a bit.
My mobo is a Asus M5A97 r2.0
Cooler: Freezer 13
PSU: cx500
Ram: patriot viper 3
GPU: 7870

I have the cpu running stable at 4.5Ghz on stock voltage.
This is 100% stable. If I go to 4.6Ghz core 0 shuts down however the remaining 3 keep going in prime95.
So my thought was to up the voltage.
So after some reading I decided to go with 1.40V on the core and went up to 4.8Ghz
With these settings I was staying just under 70C while running prime95
(Temps measured using coretemp with a +5C offset.)
All 4 cores were running stable however when I ran CPU Bench 2003 and a couple others to verify my result I had managed to go back to stock performance despite the extra overclock.
All the overclocking was done in the Bios and all power saving features have been turned off together with turbo.

Please help me.

you are overclocking it to far to do your tests, I've had the same for my videocard, everything went fine untill I was trying to test it
underclock it a little and try it again
it automaticly changes back because it can't keep the same speed under load

you are overclocking it to far to do your tests, I've had the same for my videocard, everything went fine untill I was trying to test it

underclock it a little and try it again

it automaticly changes back because it can't keep the same speed under load

Right so I have now tried running all tests again at 4.6Ghz, with 1.40V and same result. The performance is the same as the stock 3.8Ghz.

Anyway thanks :)

I also did some testing in Just Cause 2 and I get the same result.

Thermal trottling is my bet, it's throttling back to the stock clocks because it can't hold the voltage. If you check your CPU clock in Prime95 I imagine it will dip from time to time.

Possible causes

- Overheating CPU

- Overheating VRMs

- VRMs just not capable of holding that voltage

Thermal trottling is my bet, it's throttling back to the stock clocks because it can't hold the voltage. If you check your CPU clock in Prime95 I imagine it will dip from time to time.

Possible causes

- Overheating CPU

- Overheating VRMs

- VRMs just not capable of holding that voltage

Could be the VRM, good point, is there a program that will allow me too see the VRM temps while I test?

Could be the VRM, good point, is there a program that will let allow me too see the VRM temps while I test?

HWmonitor will list a lot of the temps on your board but it won't specify what is what, if you run prime95 and take a screenshot of the hwmonitor window I might be able to determine which one it is :)

Could be the VRM, good point, is there a program that will allow me too see the VRM temps while I test?

hwmonitor should do the job, just look carefully in the list that you get when you run hwmonitor :P

HWinfo64 will (usually) display the vrm temp. It's a little more verbose than HWMonitor.

Its either vrm throttling (970 chipset boards aren't usually as strong as 990s) or you lost the lottery. I'm leaning towards one of your cores (core 0) being weaker than the rest.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

HWmonitor will list a lot of the temps on your board but it won't specify what is what, if you run prime95 and take a screenshot of the hwmonitor window I might be able to determine which one it is :)

Call me an idiot but I can´t figure out how to attach an image to this message. However After installing HWmonitor I got this info from my pc:

PC name: INFINITY

AMD FX-4300

Clocks

Value        Min              Max

Core #0             4516       4516           4516

Core #1             4516       4516           4516

Core #2             4516       4516           4516

Core #3             4516       4516           4516

Utilizations:

UC                     4%            0%              100%

I had a look in my Bios and no VRM temps that I could find.

HWinfo64 will (usually) display the vrm temp. It's a little more verbose than HWMonitor.

Its either vrm throttling (970 chipset boards aren't usually as strong as 990s) or you lost the lottery. I'm leaning towards one of your cores (core 0) being weaker than the rest.

thanks for the tip about hwinfo64, I will use that one from now on ^^

I used hwinfo64 and after a bit of hunting I found a sensor called motherboard. I assumed this was the VRM however when I launched Prime95 to run the temps did not change one bit. My cpu went up to 50C but the motherboard did not budge form 29C.
Could I have a bad sensor, or am I just doing something stupid?

I used hwinfo64 and after a bit of hunting I found a sensor called motherboard. I assumed this was the VRM however when I launched Prime95 to run the temps did not change one bit. My cpu went up to 50C but the motherboard did not budge form 29C.

Could I have a bad sensor, or am I just doing something stupid?

Nah that's probably just case ambient or a chipset temp. Not VRM. Your motherboard may not have a temp sensor for the VRM in that case.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Nah that's probably just case ambient or a chipset temp. Not VRM. Your motherboard may not have a temp sensor for the VRM in that case.

I have a fan controller so I know it is not ambient. I however see your point. Thanks for the help, I guess I will just stay at 4.5Ghz :)

Took a reading of my VRM, about 60C on the heatsink, so I could believe it can´t handle the overclock.
It is rated at 125W and my CPU 95W so going to 4,5 may be just under the 125W limit.
Is it something that can be calculated?