I want to upgrade my case and watercool

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Well currently using 1440p (Asus Swift), the 4GB of VRAM is lacking. Especially if I plan on upgrading to 4K within the next month or so.

If it's true and the 980 Ti will have 6GB, that can easily fill my needs. I can also just get a Titan but my friends will tell me I overdid it and I don't want to hear that from them. (They're weird). I look into those other cases as well, and check out the site if it comes to it.

I truly appreciate your response.

Forgot that I can move it to the front of the case as well. Thanks for reminding me.

No problem. 4k is really a downgrade from the Swift. You lose that heavenly 144hz. The 4GB is not what's lacking, it's the 980. I've looked at the numbers and 2 980's or 2 970's provide perfect performance for the Swift. 

Hi everyone.

I've wanted to have a custom water cooling system for some time now, and I think now that I'm switching cases, this would be the best time to do so.

I'm currently using a CM Storm Trooper (White, Windowed) and it was doing me well at first but the lack of space inside has finally got to me. I have a x61 Kraken located at the top of the case, and was only able to use 2 fans because lack of room from my motherboard heat sinks being large (X99 board).

I'm going to be upgrading to the Corsair 900D, which is pretty much a huge case that has lots of room for radiators and custom water cooling.

The question is, should I stick with AIO water cooling since it's easier, or go with a custom loop. 
If I go with custom loop, this would be my first time doing so, so I'm kinda scared going into it. 

I would need a reliable source for parts, which I currently don't know of any. I know my local Microcenter sells tubes, that's about it. So my only option is an online source.

Money isn't an issue so I don't mind spending what is needed.

Somethings I've heard is it's required to drill some aftermarket holes in your case to fit certain parts for a water cooling loop?

Some background info if this would help you help me find what I need:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V

Processor: i7-5820K (Overclocked to 4.7GHz, cherry picked processor)

Memory: Corsair 32GB DDR4 2400MHz

Video Card: Asus 980 (will be upgrading to the 980 Ti when it comes out)

Storage: 850 Pro 250GB

Storage: Seagate 2TB HDD

Power: EVGA 1050Watt Gold

I think that's all, I hope I'm not missing anything.

With that said, I want to obviously water cool the processor and the graphics card (When and if that comes out). 

Any help would truly be appreciated, a finger pointed in the right direction so to speak.

Thank you so much if you read this and took the time to reply, appreciate it.

If you're unsure about it and can't really risk possibly fucking your entire rig up, then you'd be best going with an AIO.

You could go for a custom loop, just remember that a custom loop will need to be cleaned every so many months, and you will have to check all the connections every so often for leaks too, whereas with an aio is basically just plug it in and set it all up, then you're good to go.

And woo! another michigander!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you're unsure about it and can't really risk possibly fucking your entire rig up, then you'd be best going with an AIO.

You could go for a custom loop, just remember that a custom loop will need to be cleaned every so many months, and you will have to check all the connections every so often for leaks too, whereas with an aio is basically just plug it in and set it all up, then you're good to go.

And woo! another michigander!

Well I still plan on upgrading the case for sure. And to be honest, I still am rather intimidated of custom looping.

Maybe I'll stick with the x61 Kraken since I just bought it last weekend. 

Once I upgrade the GPU maybe I'll water cool that with the G10, but the way these EVGA air coolers are, I feel it won't be necessary.

Question is, can I fit four fans on the x61 or will the issue be the same as my Trooper.

Also nice to see a fellow Michigander. Hope all is well!

No need to upgrade to the Ti... get another 980. Get parts from www.EKWB.com and do not get the 900D. Way too big for what you need. Get a 750D or 760T depending on what you prefer to look at. You can also get the Fractal Define S (best option) and that comes with pre-installed reservoir mounts. Hope I could help. 

Well I still plan on upgrading the case for sure. And to be honest, I still am rather intimidated of custom looping.

Maybe I'll stick with the x61 Kraken since I just bought it last weekend. 

Once I upgrade the GPU maybe I'll water cool that with the G10, but the way these EVGA air coolers are, I feel it won't be necessary.

Question is, can I fit four fans on the x61 or will the issue be the same as my Trooper.

Also nice to see a fellow Michigander. Hope all is well!

If there is clearance above the mobo or in the front of the case, then yes, you can put 4 fans on the x61 kraken.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No need to upgrade to the Ti... get another 980. Get parts from www.EKWB.com and do not get the 900D. Way too big for what you need. Get a 750D or 760T depending on what you prefer to look at. You can also get the Fractal Define S (best option) and that comes with pre-installed reservoir mounts. Hope I could help. 

Well currently using 1440p (Asus Swift), the 4GB of VRAM is lacking. Especially if I plan on upgrading to 4K within the next month or so.

If it's true and the 980 Ti will have 6GB, that can easily fill my needs. I can also just get a Titan but my friends will tell me I overdid it and I don't want to hear that from them. (They're weird). I look into those other cases as well, and check out the site if it comes to it.

If there is clearance above the mobo or in the front of the case, then yes, you can put 4 fans on the x61 kraken.

Forgot that I can move it to the front of the case as well. Thanks for reminding me.

No problem. 4k is really a downgrade from the Swift. You lose that heavenly 144hz. The 4GB is not what's lacking, it's the 980. I've looked at the numbers and 2 980's or 2 970's provide perfect performance for the Swift. 

I did use two 970's with the swift and trust me it's awesome.

The 980 is awesome as well, especially with the overclock I currently have on it.

Thing is I can return this 980 whenever and get a full refund, and easily upgrade to the Ti, then just buy another Ti. Ill have 6GB of VRAM and an awesome brand new card that Ill most likely overclock the balls out of.

And yeah, I do feel the 4K is a downgrade from the swift, especially what they give you with it. Beautiful monitor. Ill keep it for sure, maybe 4K still needs a few more years till I get it.

Again, appreciate your feedback.

Heading off for the night.

-M

I did use two 970's with the swift and trust me it's awesome.

The 980 is awesome as well, especially with the overclock I currently have on it.

Thing is I can return this 980 whenever and get a full refund, and easily upgrade to the Ti, then just buy another Ti. Ill have 6GB of VRAM and an awesome brand new card that Ill most likely overclock the balls out of.

And yeah, I do feel the 4K is a downgrade from the swift, especially what they give you with it. Beautiful monitor. Ill keep it for sure, maybe 4K still needs a few more years till I get it.

Again, appreciate your feedback.

Heading off for the night.

-M

Good luck with the setup and, how the hell can you return the 980 anytime?