Fixit Pricing

BuntzenB

So i work in a small convenience store during breakfast and lunch at my school. I fixed the owner's computer and stuff a bunch of times (I consider myself a techy and am always fixing friend's computers) so i then asked him if I could hang up a sign that we do computer repair (hardware and software) during lunch (I would do it) and he said sure.

So does anyone know around how much I should charge per job? For hardware I would charge the price of the new component (if it requires that) plus some percentage for installation and stuff like that. I just dont know what percentage or how much is okay for software fixit. Can anyone help me out?

TL;DR I wanna fix peoples computers - how much to charge?

Thanks so much.

15 USD/euros per hour?

Maybe set prices for different things.

Like Virus removal: 20 USD.

Windows install: 25 USD

etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So i work in a small convenience store during breakfast and lunch at my school. I fixed the owner's computer and stuff a bunch of times (I consider myself a techy and am always fixing friend's computers) so i then asked him if I could hang up a sign that we do computer repair (hardware and software) during lunch (I would do it) and he said sure.

So does anyone know around how much I should charge per job? For hardware I would charge the price of the new component (if it requires that) plus some percentage for installation and stuff like that. I just dont know what percentage or how much is okay for software fixit. Can anyone help me out?

TL;DR I wanna fix peoples computers - how much to charge?

Thanks so much.

All depends of pricing of local shops in your area. Most shops around here charge $40-$60 for like virus removal and file backup. I'd say just charge in the low $30 range untill you get a bunch of happy customers word will spread and raise your prices lol

All depends of pricing of local shops in your area. Most shops around here charge $40-$60 for like virus removal and file backup. I'd say just charge in the low $30 range untill you get a bunch of happy customers word will spread and raise your prices lol

15 USD/euros per hour?

Maybe set prices for different things.

Windows install: 25 USD

etc.

Thanks so much guys.

Also how much should I charge (maybe a percentage or extra flat rate over the price of actual components) for hardware upgrades/fixes?

Thanks so much guys.

Also how much should I charge (maybe a percentage or extra flat rate over the price of actual components) for hardware upgrades/fixes?

Kinda depends on what component and what extra stuff you will do.

Adding some more RAM takes 2 minutes or so only, it's so easy. Something like 15 USD or.

Changing GPU is not extremely difficult, but will you install new drivers and uninstall old ones for them too? If you do that too, around 30 USD.

A CPU and/or mobo upgrade is a bit harder because sometimes you have to reinstall Windows too. Not sure what kind of price you can put on that..

And will you charge the customer for thermal paste too? That's some stuff to think about

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Anyone else? I would like a little more input before I charge people. 

And thanks so much to everyone that responded.

Please don't remove me D=

Most places where I am start at $50 an hour, or $75 an hour if they come to you, for general things and diagnosing problems. Back ups & virus/malware removal are extra as normal. I am also pretty sure one store charge an extra $150 to build, stress test (24 hours) & cable manage a custom built PC.

That's all in Australian dollars by the way.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Please don't remove me D=

Most places where I am start at $50 an hour, or $75 an hour if they come to you, for general things and diagnosing problems. Back ups & virus/malware removal are extra as normal. I am also pretty sure one store charge an extra $150 to build, stress test (24 hours) & cable manage a custom built PC.

That's all in Australian dollars by the way.

Thanks!