Server-grade or gaming-grade? -- A Custom PC Discussion

So my current rig follows the values given in Speccy -- I grabbed a quick screenshot the other day for reference.  The chassis is a 2008 Boxx server-based build, with a GeForce 660 GT graphics card.  While this build has done well for me for workstation purposes -- great for multiple monitors -- I'm looking to make some improvements to this build.  The motherboard currently appears too old to recognize the SSD as anything other than a flash memory device -- I'm fairly certain that of all the hardware in my system, this would be the throttling-point; and as such, I feel that I'm not getting the full benefit of my SSD system.  While I would like to change this -- e.g. actually get the 5-second startup times that I can with my Lenovo T420 laptop -- I am not really certain of where to begin in speccing upgrades or -- as the situation may warrant -- an entirely new system.

What features I'm looking-for;

- handles multi-tasking (and multiple monitors) very well [i'm looking to upgrade to three+ 24" monitors at some point in the next five to ten years -- I appreciate a wide, open work-space]

- Capable of performing CAD modelling or bio-mechanics simulations

- Dependable system*

- Handles gaming reasonable well**

- Preferably an achievable build (if my requirements are too idealistic, that would be nice to know too)

- Does not break the bank to acquire replacements and/or to fix***

*I realize this may be a charged word for some people -- and it may mean different things.  While I feel that most of us computer users "just want something that works when we need it to," there are some environmental aspects that I'm taking into-account with this proposed build. As you can see from the attached image, the GPU, CPU, and HDD's in my current rig get very hot very quickly -- not a good thing, when I need to be at work in 86-degree weather without AC.  Some better cooling is called-for, I think -- but to my knowledge, that must be taken on a system-by-system basis.  On the desktop I've got now I actually added three extra 5" fans to improve the cooling of the system -- but as you can see, that isn't really working too well at the moment. Having a system I can use even at high ambient temperatures would be wonderful -- but I know this can get expensive and/or crazy in a hurry.  I've toyed with the idea of buying an un-interruptable power supply as well, just so that I don't lose my OS when there is a power-outage -- but I also know nothing about that industry.

** I'm not a hard-core gamer, so I don't need a gaming-focused rig [i think].  However, I would like to be able to play MMOs without frame-stuttering or needing to pause in-game while the environments render-in.  

*** I've seen some of the mineral-cooled and phase-change cooling rigs out there, and I would prefer not to go that extreme.  Right now, I just don't have that kind of time to sink into optimizing the thermodynamics myself.  Plus, I may or may not be moving around as the jobs require me to -- I'd rather not worry about special parts getting broken during transfer.

The server/workstation-type build I have going for me now has, as mentioned, worked quite well for me up until now -- however, trying to keep-up with modern games (such as SWTOR, Firefall, and others) has become something of a losing battle.  I would like to not be "limited" in my rig's capability or performance, however I know that the industry tends to pigeon-hole pre-built-rigs into either the "workstation," "server," or "gamer" categories.

Why am I considering what might be seen as unnecessary upgrades to a working system?  Simple.  I don't want to be limited by hardware -- and I expect quite a few CAD projects in my near future.  I'm a transhumanist entrepreneur trying to keep-ahead of the tech curve -- and in order to do that, I expect I may need some serious power for my mechatronics projects. While my 660 GT has been great, I foresee that it may become outdated very very soon -- leaving me without a machine that can handle the kinds of stresses I foresee it needing to handle.

Here is what I'm looking to upgrade [of the items I am aware-of];

- CPUs [having more cores, with faster clock-speeds, would be awesome -- I've had it in my mind for a while that the next "upgrade" to my rig would be another dual-CPU system with 3 GHz and 16 cores each -- if that is even possible]

- Graphics Card [the 660GT at the temps you see below actually started to black-out moving images -- could be unrelated to the quality/tolerance of the card, maybe not]

- Motherboard

- Fans/radiator/ "overall cooling" (might require a new chassis)

I've tried to shy-away from the "gamer vs workstation" arguments before, but for the work I intend to be doing in the next few years, I do not know what kind of build would be the most useful.  I'm unaware of any "sibling" graphics-card to the 660 GT (outside of maybe the 980 GT?), that might be lower in the GPU/VRAM departments but handles multi-tasking and CAD better .... And as for "server"-type motherboards or CPUs, I'm clueless as to where to even start looking.  

I've been following LinusTechTips for a while now though, and from it I can infer that all y'all on here know what you are doing; if there is any community that might be able to suggest resources or products, I figure this would be it.  So -- thoughts?  Suggestions?  Places I can look for parts?  Like I've said, my setup was not intended as a 'server' or a 'gaming' rig -- but my ideal build has some elements of both.  Is there a 'side' which may be better?  Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

speccy_Boxx_TNS.pdf

I'll take a moment and type this out for everyone:

Operating System

-- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

-- Intel Xeon E5440 @ 2.83GHz   54°C

Harpertown 45nm Technology

-- Intel Xeon E5440 @ 2.83GHz   53°C

Harpertown 45nm Technology

RAM

-- 24.0GB FB-DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard

-- Supermicro X7DWA (LGA771/CPU1)   41°C

Graphics

-- STD HDMI TV (1920x1080@60Hz)

-- hp L2335 (1920x1200@59Hz)

-- DELL 1907FP (1280x1024@60Hz)

-- 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA)   42°C

Storage

-- 931GB Store0 (RAID)

-- 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00M4B0 (SATA)   36°C

-- 238GB SanDisk SDSSDHP256G (SSD)   30°C

Optical Drives

-- TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L

welp i just read that whole thing and failed to find a budget :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

welp i just read that whole thing and failed to find a budget :S

Same here I think it is in the coc to put that in. But based on the wants it should be pretty high.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

The OP is looking at a box for doing CAD work and the like. A system geared towards video rendering would be along the lines of what he wants, ideally a dual-CPU configuration, which likely means socket 2011-v3 for something up to date. Sounds like we're looking at a couple grand USD as an off-the-cuff number.

Get few old x58 server board along with two xeon 5650 and make sure you look amd cards for better performance in cad.

Upgrade to 32Gbs of DDR3 Ram. Don't know anything about server motherboards but workstations should have some better ram then DDR2 at 333MHz

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Upgrade to 32Gbs of DDR3 Ram. Don't know anything about server motherboards but workstations should have some better ram then DDR2 at 333MHz

Most server boards only support ecc ram which means lower speeds and most boards only support ddr2, maybe if he went with a enthusiest/workstation grade dual socket xeon compatible mother board then he could use enthusiast grade ram