Is the initial user.........

Griffscavern
Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

With full administrator rights? I've heard varying views.

Also I've heard that you don't want to use an administrator account, except to update or modify your computer. For security reasons. Is this correct?

Yes, with full rights. Using an admin account on Vista and later is completely safe, as long as User Account Control is enabled. UAC was introduced with Vista and improved with 7. An administrator account is like a standard user account and the explorer.exe is shell is started as a limited user. However, if a program requests admin access, you can just accept the UAC prompt to grant them. The difference between admin and limited accounts is that limuted users need to provide the password of an admin to accept UAC.

account, that is setup when installing Windows 8.1, a full on administrator account? Or is it a limited admin? In order to be full admin, do I have to enable the built in administrator account for full admin functionality?

The last time i used windows was in millennium edition. Yes, that long ago.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

account, that is setup when installing Windows 8.1, a full on administrator account? Or is it a limited admin? In order to be full admin, do I have to enable the built in administrator account for full admin functionality?

The last time i used windows was in millennium edition. Yes, that long ago.

It's an administrator. However, programs only gain admin rights when granted by the User Account Control. This is to prevent malware from gaining it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It's an administrator.

Also I've heard that you don't want to use an administrator account, except to update or modify your computer. For security reasons. Is this correct?

It's an administrator. However, programs only gain admin rights when granted by the User Account Control. This is to prevent malware from gaining it.

So I plan on using my live account for initial setup. Should I create a local user account for everyday use and only log into my initial account when changes are necessary?

Yes, with full rights. Using an admin account on Vista and later is completely safe, as long as User Account Control is enabled. UAC was introduced with Vista and improved with 7. An administrator account is like a standard user account and the explorer.exe is shell is started as a limited user. However, if a program requests admin access, you can just accept the UAC prompt to grant them. The difference between admin and limited accounts is that limuted users need to provide the password of an admin to accept UAC.

OK, great. So I shouldn't need to use the built in administrator account at all. Correct? Or are there good reasons to enable it?

OK, great. So I shouldn't need to use the built in administrator account at all. Correct? Or are there good reasons to enable it?

Yes, you shouldn't enable the built in admin. That is a high security risk, as UAC doesn't apply to it.

Yes, you shouldn't enable the built in admin. That is a high security risk, as UAC doesn't apply to it.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the input. Researching everything that comes to mind before I buy and setup my new computer. You're a big help.