So what is wrong with this build?

Sindroms

Hello there.

I moved out a few years back and ended up using a laptop for a while, but recently have decided to get back to proper gaming and buy myself a used PC. It was nothing special, a Phenom II 4x, a HD5770 and 4gigs of DDR2 memory, but now I ended up sinking quite a few bucks into the build and this is my current one:

Raw numbers

http://i.imgur.com/mVw7BoX.png

Images brought to you by PotatoCam2015

http://i.imgur.com/vIzBQoc.png

http://i.imgur.com/gIsU5lk.png

http://i.imgur.com/02TdgzA.png

(Yes, that is a stock 8350 ventilator ziptied over the NB)

So....I kinda feel it is not running as well as I had hoped for. Any suggestions on what to do with the darn thing? I am looking for a smooth gaming performance at a reasonable graphics detail level. I had hoped that this rig would at least give me that at medium settings. Turns out that is not the case.

What do?

Sindrom's Discovery Freelancer Youtube Channel

2015 AMD FX-8350 @4.5ghz | Gainward GTX 960 Phantom | 8GB Kingston 1600 | Asus M5A97 R2.0

2018 Intel i7-8700k @4.2ghz | ROG GTX 1070 | 16GB Adata @2400 | Asus ROG STRIX Z370-H

What seems to be the problem exactly? You just specified that you feel it could be better, no numbers or anything to start the ball rolling, what are the temps like, at stock, at full load. What kind of FPS are you getting in the games that you play? Which games do you play? Is it making noises that you don't want it to? is there vibrating? Do you have an SSD?

A full list of specs would be a great help. Other than that, I can't really advise you to do anything until I know more.

Also, you may want to follow your topic, so that you are given a notification every time someone interacts with it.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Ok so you got an

AMD FX-8350

GTX 960

8GB of some Kingston ram at 800mhz

The only thing that stands out to me is the ram 800MHz is weirdly slow nowadays. Edit, just read somewhere that CPU-Z gives funny ram readings, double check the BIOS.

Yeah, um... CPU-Z says you have an AMD FX-8350, GTX 960, and 8GiB of DDR3 RAM which doesn't match your description at all. I think you posted the wrong picture.

I think that was his computer when he first got it, he has since upgraded it into what we see here

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

About the RAM in particular, in the BIOS it shows up at 1600 with Normal settings. If I turn on the full setting, it drops it down at a random speed, such as 1151, so I keep everything at stock.

What seems to be the problem exactly? You just specified that you feel it could be better, no numbers or anything to start the ball rolling, what are the temps like, at stock, at full load. What kind of FPS are you getting in the games that you play? Which games do you play? Is it making noises that you don't want it to? is there vibrating? Do you have an SSD?

A full list of specs would be a great help. Other than that, I can't really advise you to do anything until I know more.

Also, you may want to follow your topic, so that you are given a notification every time someone interacts with it.

Right, the problem is the overall performance gained after the upgrade from the starting specs to the current ones.

Games played are old ones such as Freelancer and newer ones such as Warthunder, World of Tanks, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and others.

Most of the above seem to run at 60 frames, but with noticeable frame drops, which seem to last for less than a second. Sometimes, especially with Warthunder, the game runs uncapped at 80 fps, but as I move the camera around, it -feels- like I am running below 60. Some random jitter, I can't really explain it. It is not smooth.

2015 AMD FX-8350 @4.5ghz | Gainward GTX 960 Phantom | 8GB Kingston 1600 | Asus M5A97 R2.0

2018 Intel i7-8700k @4.2ghz | ROG GTX 1070 | 16GB Adata @2400 | Asus ROG STRIX Z370-H

As for temperature, at full load it does not go over 55c for the mobo and CPU and over 65 for the GPU if using HWMonitor counts as accurate readings.

About the RAM in particular, in the BIOS it shows up at 1600 with Normal settings. If I turn on the full setting, it drops it down at a random speed, such as 1151, so I keep everything at stock.

Right, the problem is the overall performance gained after the upgrade from the starting specs to the current ones.

Games played are old ones such as Freelancer and newer ones such as Warthunder, World of Tanks, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and others.

Most of the above seem to run at 60 frames, but with noticeable frame drops, which seem to last for less than a second. Sometimes, especially with Warthunder, the game runs uncapped at 80 fps, but as I move the camera around, it -feels- like I am running below 60. Some random jitter, I can't really explain it. It is not smooth.

The gittering is almost certainly to do with drivers, try new ones, try old ones, try Beta ones, see how it effects it, if nothing happens then something else is going on here.

Could you please get a reading of the max temps on the CPU as well as the GPU during these "gittering" points, or just in your usual game play time, while you would experience it. (This would be the first thing to do probably, rather than to go off installing a million different driver variants.)

Edit: ahhh, Just saw your post on temps.

Check if you are running out of RAM and/or video card memory.

For an 8350, generally speaking, you don't want to be running over 55 degrees, this will kill the chip. You may want to change the thermal paste on the CPU, and re-seat the cooler.

As for the GPU, they are completely acceptable temps.

A way you could drop the temps for the CPU without doing this however is to change the rear exhaust fan to be an intake, giving fresh air straight to the CPU, but keep in mind that you will still need a way for this air to escape so you could end up ghetto mounting a new fan in the case as an exhaust or something. Or you could while replacing the paste on the CPU, rotate the cooler to make sure it is exhausting straight out the back, and has fresh intake from somewhere else.

For an 8350, generally speaking, you don't want to be running over 55 degrees, this will kill the chip. You may want to change the thermal paste on the CPU, and re-seat the cooler.

As for the GPU, they are completely acceptable temps.

A way you could drop the temps for the CPU without doing this however is to change the rear exhaust fan to be an intake, giving fresh air straight to the CPU, but keep in mind that you will still need a way for this air to escape so you could end up ghetto mounting a new fan in the case as an exhaust or something. Or you could while replacing the paste on the CPU, rotate the cooler to make sure it is exhausting straight out the back, and has fresh intake from somewhere else.

Please don't do that, it is normal for a CPU to reach those temperatures. CPU temps can go as high as 80-90 C. Some testing in the factory tests chips to well over 100 C

EDIT: Just found out that some people claims that the max temperature that you should run this chip at is  61.1C, but i guess that's the safe temperature if you don't want to degrade your CPU chip too fast.

However what's the point ? when it dies, upgrade it !

Please don't do that, it is normal for a CPU to reach those temperatures. CPU temps can go as high as 80-90 degs. Some testing in the factory tests chips to well over 100deg

Please, oh, please for lords sake, do not listen to this. you are thinking of INTEL chips my kind sir, an AMD FX8350 most certainly COULD NOT survive at 100 degrees. Please do some research before applying a blanket statement to a topic of such huge variety. You could end up giving advise to someone who will then fry their chip.

An FX-8350 will thermal throttle at 70 degrees but is not stable much past 55 degrees.