How to clean a smoked comp.? Alcohol bath? Contact Cleaner?

Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

I would just take a couple bottles of contact cleaner and use that.  The soot should come right off from the force of the spray.  Take the PSU apart and make sure to get all the stuff in there clean too.  Take out the cpu and clean out the socket and underside of the cpu.  Everything should be fine.

I have quite a bit of experience cleaning boards and other electronics that are caked in all kinds of junk including lead dust, paste, acid, etc. Contact cleaner has never failed me.

Hey there,

Recently my apartment caught fire and everything burned down, except my computer, which sort of melted from the top. Assuming my computer is fine, I bought a new case, but I am not quite sure how I should clean the computer. The inside of the computer is all black because of smoke.

My dad recommend me to use a contact cleaner, but he is not sure if that is the best approach either. Should I wash out the computer with isopropyl alcohol or use a contact cleaner? What would you guys suggest? 

Thank you.

P.S.: Here is the video of my apartment in Pakistan (I am currently in Canada) catching fire:

Hey there,

Recently my apartment caught fire and everything burned down, except my computer, which sort of melted from the top. Assuming my computer is fine, I bought a new case, but I am not quite sure how I should clean the computer. The inside of the computer is all black because of smoke.

My dad recommend me to use a contact cleaner, but he is not sure if that is the best approach either. Should I wash out the computer with isopropyl alcohol or use a contact cleaner? What would you guys suggest? 

Thank you.

P.S.: Here is the video of my apartment in Pakistan (I am currently in Canada) catching fire:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBXj61_7pQ-

I wouldn't use the PC since it's full of soot or pure carbon so it can possibly conduct electricity due to the contaminates. I would soak and clean the parts in alcohol bath to clean PCB's and things before anything else.

I wouldn't use the PC since it's full of soot or pure carbon so it can possibly conduct electricity due to the contaminates. I would soak and clean the parts in alcohol bath to clean PCB's and things before anything else.

Yes, I was thinking to do the same. Would be a disaster if it short circuits again, well it wasn't the computer which caught fire anyway. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it!

Yes, I was thinking to do the same. Would be a disaster if it short circuits again, well it wasn't the computer which caught fire anyway. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it!

I would do what @W-L said. Give it a soak in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. It evaporates relatively quickly, but I would still leave the components out to dry for a few days. Also, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take everything apart and take a soft tooth brush and go over everything with the alcohol just to make sure nothing is really left.

I would just take a couple bottles of contact cleaner and use that.  The soot should come right off from the force of the spray.  Take the PSU apart and make sure to get all the stuff in there clean too.  Take out the cpu and clean out the socket and underside of the cpu.  Everything should be fine.

I have quite a bit of experience cleaning boards and other electronics that are caked in all kinds of junk including lead dust, paste, acid, etc. Contact cleaner has never failed me.

Oh I see. Also the contact cleaner dries very quickly, right? But isn't taking the PSU apart dangerous unless you know what you're doing? Thank you.

It dries very quickly yes. Take the board angle it sideways over a trash can and just spray every crack and crevice until you see the residue that is dripping off is clear. Do that to both sides of the boards. For the psu, just unplug it from the wall and try turning the computer on. That should drain any residual power from the capacitors. There should no longer be any stored energy in the unit. The only dangerous thing would be from somehow damaging the interior of the unit after you have taken it apart. Just remember not to bend or twist anything on the PCB and you should be fine. Or else something could short circuit once you've turned it back on.

if you stick it in a dishwasher with no soap it should do a pretty good job. make sure you let it dry out for a couple of days before you put it back together though

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

It dries very quickly yes. Take the board angle it sideways over a trash can and just spray every crack and crevice until you see the residue that is dripping off is clear. Do that to both sides of the boards. For the psu, just unplug it from the wall and try turning the computer on. That should drain any residual power from the capacitors. There should no longer be any stored energy in the unit. The only dangerous thing would be from somehow damaging the interior of the unit after you have taken it apart. Just remember not to bend or twist anything on the PCB and you should be fine. Or else something could short circuit once you've turned it back on.

Thank you very much, Speaker1264, really appreciate it. Maybe I should replace the hard drive which must have got damaged because of smoke. As far as I know, even a small particle can ruin the drive's stability and life, or even potentially kill it right away.

I'll first blow the computer with air compressor or something to remove as much dust as I can. I'll be performing this recovery in two months as I am in Ottawa right now, but the computer is in Pakistan.

Again I really appreciate your help man! I'll send you an update when I perform the recovery ;p

if you stick it in a dishwasher with no soap it should do a pretty good job. make sure you let it dry out for a couple of days before you put it back together though

Not sure if that's a joke or what. Thanks for replying anyway :)

There might be some truth to his statement.  People claim to have fixed their damaged keyboards using this method.  Damage from spills and those sort of things.  It's recommended to use the lowest heat setting, and prevent it from going into a drying cycle as that creates a lot of heat.  I haven't personally tried it, and keyboards are much different than the components on your motherboard. 

Repairing the hard drive may not be that bad either.  Usually they are sealed are quite well, but here is a video that will show you how to open it and look for any possible damage, and I think he has other videos showing how to repair them.  Good luck with your recovery man.

Thank you very much, Speaker1264, really appreciate it. Maybe I should replace the hard drive which must have got damaged because of smoke. As far as I know, even a small particle can ruin the drive's stability and life, or even potentially kill it right away.

I'll first blow the computer with air compressor or something to remove as much dust as I can. I'll be performing this recovery in two months as I am in Ottawa right now, but the computer is in Pakistan.

Again I really appreciate your help man! I'll send you an update when I perform the recovery ;p

i'm not joking. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I would also disconnect the power supply and check all voltages with a multimeter before trying to re-start the computer.  Transformers do not like excess heat, and bad voltages could kill sensitive electronic components.