SSD?

Torna

So I have been getting black screens all over the place.....

Bios...I see it for 2 seconds...black screen.

Windows.....when I could get there....black screens.

Right now I am stuck in a Windows Diag on start up....black screen loop of death.

So I just got told by my GPU manufacturer that it ain't the GPU....you aren't getting far enough.  So my question....could it be a dying SSD?

Check your connections, if you have integrated graphics, try removing your gpu and using those too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I have and if I have integrated graphics tell me where the chip is I'll pry the chip off.  

If you have another computer, you can try to live boot into a linux OS to see if it is the SSD. This would load the linux operating system into your system memory and not read from the SSD. This is only if you do not have any other ways of testing what is wrong.

Or use a different HDD and fresh install and see how things go?

I have and if I have integrated graphics tell me where the chip is I'll pry the chip off.  

Well, first of all I think he was suggesting to use your integrated graphics and not use your gpu rather than pry the ig chip off.  Second, the ig are on the CPU so you can't really "pry" it off.

WTF? Why? And integrated graphics are probably on ur CPU.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Or use a different HDD and fresh install and see how things go?

If you have another HDD laying around then that would work great

HDDs are easy :P extra full happy computers at the moment that aren't laptops....not so much and if this is integrated graphics it proves they are the devil because I can't get into the BiOS to turn them off!

Umm. wat. 

No, take out your GPU and plug your monitor in to the motherboard. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

The chip is on the CPU on Intel CPUs and AMD APUs. Have fun.

Disconnect the SSD and see if you can enter the BIOS. If you still can't, it's not the SSD.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

So if unplug the SSD and I am still screwed it could be the integrated graphics I can't turn off!

Ok....

SSD tested....cleared of suspicion.

Different memory tested.....cleared of suspicion.....in different slots just to be sure.

And in the vein of I want my computer back....DVD drive tested.....cleared of suspicion.

I am back to thinking this is the GPU which according to XFX doesn't make any sense because I managed to get into BiOS long enough to see my disabled integrated graphics.

Ok....

SSD tested....cleared of suspicion.

Different memory tested.....cleared of suspicion.....in different slots just to be sure.

And in the vein of I want my computer back....DVD drive tested.....cleared of suspicion.

I am back to thinking this is the GPU which according to XFX doesn't make any sense because I managed to get into BiOS long enough to see my disabled integrated graphics.

Okay, i'm going to say this again... Take out the GPU. Plug the display into the motherboard. And tell me if your issue is still present. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

• 2 weeks later...

*Aims several choice words at XFX* Integrated graphics tested....no black screens so far....so 2 questions....
1. How powerful are integrated graphics?

2. I have been considering the possibility of RMAing or maybe torturing myself for long with a still incomplete computer to get something like a 980.

*Aims several choice words at XFX* Integrated graphics tested....no black screens so far....so 2 questions....

1. How powerful are integrated graphics?

2. I have been considering the possibility of RMAing or maybe torturing myself for long with a still incomplete computer to get something like a 980.

Integrated graphics are pretty weaksauce. 

RMA the GPU.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Oh trust me the idea there was not yay I have graphics I'll stop there....it was more do I have even sort of a computer now or do I keep ignoring it?  And no love for the 980?

Oh trust me the idea there was not yay I have graphics I'll stop there....it was more do I have even sort of a computer now or do I keep ignoring it?  And no love for the 980?

You can use integrated graphics just fine, but gaming isn't going to be fun.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler