Building my own case

Frickxinator

I am going to build my own pc, not only will i assemble it myself, i will also make my own case in PMMA. Do you guys have tips for me on what i should know before starting, things I might forget, ... ? (I already have all the parts, only the case has to be still made, it is really basic, I will use it for browsing and to make my tasks for university)

grtz

I am going to build my own pc, not only will i assemble it myself, i will also make my own case in PMMA. Do you guys have tips for me on what i should know before starting, things I might forget, ... ? (I already have all the parts, only the case has to be still made, it is really basic, I will use it for browsing and to make my tasks for university)

grtz

PMMA? Philippine Merchant Marine Academy??

PMMA? Philippine Merchant Marine Academy??

Para-Methoxymethamphetamine?

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Para-Methoxymethamphetamine?

He said "in" how can he be in Para-Methoxymethamphetamine?

He said "in" how can he be in Para-Methoxymethamphetamine?

I was just poking fun with the PMMA acronym :P didn't think to make sure it made sense, makes me look ignorant now that I read it over... :unsure:

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I was just poking fun with the PMMA acronym :P didn't think to make sure it made sense, makes me look ignorant now that I read it over... :/

YOU MUST READ THIS IN A SOUTHERN ACCENT FOR IT TO BE WORTH WHILE. 

It's all good. I know you ain't ignorant, you be a fart smeller... I mean smart feller! ;)

He said "in" how can he be in Para-Methoxymethamphetamine?

he probably meant "on" 

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

grtz

PMMA is the short form of the chemical formula for Acrylic.

As for building your own case out of it, two important things are to make sure you have a layout and spacing for the motherbaord tray and I/O shield, there are aluminum ones you can get but if you want to make it all out of acrylic be sure to have precise cuts, ideally using a laser cutter. The second thing I would worry about is your method of attaching the piece of acrylic together, I know Parvum likes to use a metal mounting cube with bolts to attach their panels.

http://www.parvumsystems.com/product/modding-cube

My build fits together like a jigsaw. No mounting cubes needed.

There are plenty of things to worry about and you can learn from my mistakes.

The important ones are that the motherboard tray needs holes not only for the standoffs but also the expansion slot brackets.

Also the way the side panel goes on is something that's more difficult to design in if it's a afterthought so keep that in mind.

Other than that, anything goes, really. Best is to look inside an old pc and design it so that all necessary parts can be mounted somewhere, and you'll be alright.

Oh yeah and be very careful with screws and lasercut acrylic as it cracks easily.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.