Possible SSD failure?

KNaph

So I had a 120gb Samsung 840 SSD, Ended up getting two 120gb 840 Evos and formatted the old 840 and put it into my sister's 2011 13" Macbook Pro as the OS drive.

It's been running in that laptop for a little over a year, and I think it now decided it wanted to die.

Her MBP only boots to a white screen with only the SSD plugged into it, and booting off the standard 320gb drive is slower than hell.

She had some relatively important photos on the SSD and I was hoping to recover them, but the drive seems totally unresponsive.

Plugged it into my desktop, tried to run HFSExplorer to access the drive. It doesn't even recognize the drive.

Ran Crystal Disk and it's reporting back with this:

Aq2E4yF.jpg

So the drive is pretty much unresponsive and seems like it's barely online.

Both my PC and her MBP report back with ~1.0gb capacity.

I'm trying to contact Samsung since it's still under warranty, hopefully it's covered. In the mean time, is there anything else I can try to see if I can get any data off of it? or am I completely SOL?

Thanks!

Fairly sure you can't recover files from an SSD if it fails, which is why backing it up is important.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Stupid thing, but could the data/power be louse or unpluged?

Main Build: i7 4790k Cooled with H100i, Asus z97-Pro (Wifi AC), 16gb 1866MHz Hyper-X RAM, Msi GTX 660 Twin Frozer, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo500GB WD Blue Drive, 1TB WD Black, Antec 620 Watt Semimodular PSU, Monitors: Asus VG248QE, Acer LCD X203W

--86'd--

No it isn't a failure more like a fimeware error/glitch that slows the data flow of the 840evo when data is not used for a period of time. PCper has talked about this and have reported on a few "fixes" that Samsung has put out. The latest firmware has been said to fix the problem.

This is the latest report of the fix for the problem you are having

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Fairly sure you can't recover files from an SSD if it fails, which is why backing it up is important.

Yeah, I was expecting that. My sister pretty much never backs up anything despite what I tell her.

Is it possible that since she uses the SSD as a scratch disk for Photoshop and Lightroom that the constant writing to and from the SSD shortened the life span? Pretty unlikely since it hasn't even been in use for that long, but just a thought.

Stupid thing, but could the data/power be louse or unpluged?

I wish it were, I've tried several SATA data cables and a couple of other working SATA power cables, no dice on any of them.

I don't know if you tried this, but try plunging it into a different computer...if you can. There is a possibility that it is just that computer.

Main Build: i7 4790k Cooled with H100i, Asus z97-Pro (Wifi AC), 16gb 1866MHz Hyper-X RAM, Msi GTX 660 Twin Frozer, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo500GB WD Blue Drive, 1TB WD Black, Antec 620 Watt Semimodular PSU, Monitors: Asus VG248QE, Acer LCD X203W

No it isn't a failure more like a fimeware error/glitch that slows the data flow of the 840evo when data is not used for a period of time. PCper has talked about this and have reported on a few "fixes" that Samsung has put out. The latest firmware has been said to fix the problem.

This is the latest report of the fix for the problem you are having

I just tried to update the firmware via the Samsung Magician software and the standard 840 isn't even recognized by the software. My two 840 Evos were recognized though. So the problem still remains.

I don't know if you tried this, but try plunging it into a different computer...if you can. There is a possibility that it is just that computer.

Yeah I've tried it in several of my computers, all with the same result. The drive is recognized in the BIOs and the capacity is always ~1.0gb.

I just tried to update the firmware via the Samsung Magician software and the standard 840 isn't even recognized by the software. My two 840 Evos were recognized though. So the problem still remains.

--86'd--

How about posting on PCPER's forums so Alan, he is the pcper representative who is in contact with Samsung about all the issues people face, could further advise you on the standard 840. I remembering him saying the fixes were for all of the 840s.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.