Is DisplayPort free?

Riki Tiki

Free as in freedom that is.  I was looking on wikipedia and saw that MPEG LA has a licence and royaltys for using DisplayPort and this is conflicting with just about everything else I've heard.  Can I get an official ruling on this?

Sources :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Cost

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150305006071/en/MPEG-LA-Introduces-License-DisplayPort

If they do own the royalty, I don't think they charge for it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Nothing is free my friend. Look in the underbelly of many non-profits and you'll find a profit log of some sort.

Almost anything I can think of has some sort of royalty & whatnot. But as someone said, that doesn't mean they charge for it, in this case. Though I'm not certain.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Nothing is free my friend. Look in the underbelly of many non-profits and you'll find a profit log of some sort.

Almost anything I can think of has some sort of royalty & whatnot. But as someone said, that doesn't mean they charge for it, in this case. Though I'm not certain.

You are probably right about the first part, but the wiki says "DisplayPort has a royalty rate of $0.20 per unit from patents licensed by the MPEG LA."  Is this only for certain features that they patented or for using DisplayPort in general?

Are You New to The Forums? It is ok. We have all been there and we are here to help you. Please read these few item on the LTT Forums Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide  

Also Follow your own thread @Riki Tiki

Thanks for the links. :)