Good Headphones?

AndThenThereWas1

I’m looking for a good set of headphones in the $200 price range. I will add a modmic to turn them into a gaming headset. So far I’m getting the impression that the Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones are highly recommended. Any suggestions? Are the 555s any good and what about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?

Any specific sound preferences? I keep hearing about the AudioTechnica ATH-M50, they are supposed to be really really good for the price. Usually can't go wrong with Sennheiser either.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I have heard great things about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

I have heard great things about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

they are $150 off on amazon. too bad they are so ugly.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If you want durability. The V-Moda LP2s aren't bad. I own a pair, my first set of headphones other than iPod ones so I'm by no means an expert. But they're comfortable and built really well. They are closed unlike the 558s though.

Every loud bang is a lesson learned.

being an owner of the dt770 ad700 and m50 it all depends on what the OP wants in terms of sound. I view them as tools in my audio toolkit each one aimed at a certain job

Both the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm, good for both PC and mobile) and M50 are great choices. I own DT770 myself and can highly recommend them, especially with a good soundcard.

Main rigg: AMD Phenom II 1090t @ 4.0GHz | AMD Radeon HD 6950 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula NZXT Switch 810 Coolit C240 A.L.C.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8470p + Samsung 830 240GB

HiFi: Laptop(foobar) -> Halide Design HD DAC -> Sansui SAP201V -> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand (or DT 770) 

If you want durability. The V-Moda LP2s aren't bad. ... they're comfortable and built really well. 

Second this if you want closed headphones.

Nothing recommended ITT is a bad choice. :)

Any specific sound preferences? I keep hearing about the AudioTechnica ATH-M50, they are supposed to be really really good for the price. Usually can't go wrong with Sennheiser either.

I suppose the sound preference would just be something that sounds good when gaming.

being an owner of the dt770 ad700 and m50 it all depends on what the OP wants in terms of sound. I view them as tools in my audio toolkit each one aimed at a certain job

Which one sounds better with gaming?

Both the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm, good for both PC and mobile) and M50 are great choices. I own DT770 myself and can highly recommend them, especially with a good soundcard.

the dt770 80ohms are $230. The 250ohms version is $175, will this be a major difference? I dont have a sound card.

Nothing recommended ITT is a bad choice. :)

Im not familiar with what ITT stands for?

the dt770 80ohms are $230. The 250ohms version is $175, will this be a major difference? I dont have a sound card.

There is no price difference in certain locales (like the UK). They sound the same, but you will need a more powerful amp to drive the 250 ohm version. I wouldn't recommend the 250 ohm version without a soundcard or external amp of some sort.

Im not familiar with what ITT stands for?

"In this thread" :)

If you want comfort and a cheap price get some sony xb500s but for sound quality id go with the hd 558 or 598. Also ive heard good things about vmoda m50s

32 ohm are for mobile use, 80 ohm can be used for both mobile and PC(onboard, low-end soundcard) and 250 ohm is basiclly PC only (amped soundcard)

Main rigg: AMD Phenom II 1090t @ 4.0GHz | AMD Radeon HD 6950 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula NZXT Switch 810 Coolit C240 A.L.C.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8470p + Samsung 830 240GB

HiFi: Laptop(foobar) -> Halide Design HD DAC -> Sansui SAP201V -> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand (or DT 770) 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

You can read some of these reviews to help your decision.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

"gaming" is a sound signature now I guess. 

minecraft sounds the same as call of duty which sounds the same as warcraft.

I think you can order audio technica ath-ad900x on amazon from japan for like 100$ cheaper than US, think they're as low as like 130$, plus 60$ shipping. I have them and I absolutely love them, the soundstage is really great and the virtual surround from a sound card is great

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

if gaming is #1 priority, hd5x8 series would be great.

I still think my HD595's were the best headphones I've had for games.

for music they were ok, but I prefered my srh840's

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

May I ask what games you play? For competitive fps games you'd want something with good soundstage/ open headphones such as ad700 or HD 558. I personally own the hd558s and they work really well for any game I play.

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

You really want to know what you are expecting from your headphones before deciding which ones you are going to buy. 

There are tons of good headphones, but not all of them will appeal to the listener.

Do you want Open or Closed cans? 

555s are open, Custom One Pro is Closed. The DT 770 and the M50 are also closed.

Do you want to hear the low sounds in your game, and feel the sensibility and flow of in-game music? Get some open headphones, they have a more accurate reproduction of sound, as well as a wider soundstage.

Do you want to isolate yourself from the room, and block all other sounds around you, while the heart pumping in-game bass drives your game? Get some closed headphones, they often have better bass, and noise isolation.

Now between the BeyerD DT 770 and the Custom one Pro, get the DT 770 hands down, if you could. The have same strong lows as well as better highs.

The 558s on the other hand are Open, and while they are no match for the DT770 in bass and highs, they sound more natural in mids, and have less sound impurities/distortion. (the 558s cost about 40% less than the DT770).

Bringing up the DT770 to a 558 and M50 fight is not really a fair fight since the 770 costs about 2 times more than the M50, and the HD558. So if you found the DT770 for a low price, it would probably be a good grab.

The sound signature of Snh, ATH and BD is really far off. You need to hear them to get what I'm saying.

I would suggest you try out the headphones before going for a buy, because Closed and Open headphones sound completely different, and that's the most basic step towards buying some cans.

May I ask what games you play? For competitive fps games you'd want something with good soundstage/ open headphones such as ad700 or HD 558. I personally own the hd558s and they work really well for any game I play.

I play everything from minecraft to FPS games like battlefeild and COD. I plan on getting GTA 5 and titanfall.

You really want to know what you are expecting from your headphones before deciding which ones you are going to buy. 

There are tons of good headphones, but not all of them will appeal to the listener.

Do you want Open or Closed cans? 

555s are open, Custom One Pro is Closed. The DT 770 and the M50 are also closed.

Do you want to hear the low sounds in your game, and feel the sensibility and flow of in-game music? Get some open headphones, they have a more accurate reproduction of sound, as well as a wider soundstage.

Do you want to isolate yourself from the room, and block all other sounds around you, while the heart pumping in-game bass drives your game? Get some closed headphones, they often have better bass, and noise isolation.

Now between the BeyerD DT 770 and the Custom one Pro, get the DT 770 hands down, if you could. The have same strong lows as well as better highs.

The 558s on the other hand are Open, and while they are no match for the DT770 in bass and highs, they sound more natural in mids, and have less sound impurities/distortion. (the 558s cost about 40% less than the DT770).

Bringing up the DT770 to a 558 and M50 fight is not really a fair fight since the 770 costs about 2 times more than the M50, and the HD558. So if you found the DT770 for a low price, it would probably be a good grab.

The sound signature of Snh, ATH and BD is really far off. You need to hear them to get what I'm saying.

I would suggest you try out the headphones before going for a buy, because Closed and Open headphones sound completely different, and that's the most basic step towards buying some cans.

I’m not a big headphones user. My surround sound has sufficed for the most part. Sometimes I just need a headset that I can use. My main goal would be comfort. I don’t like the way turtle beaches feel when I tried them because they pretty much press on my ears the whole time. I found that to be extremely uncomfortable and I just can’t stand how hot it gets. I plan on going to best buy and trying on a few.