Does refresh rate effect FPS?

LatinoPotato
Go to solution Solved by spenser_l,

Basically the refresh rate of the monitor is the maximum FPS visible. So using a 60Hz monitor, you will only ever actually see 60FPS, even if you're pushing 60+ FPS.

The monitor will never affect game performance, but in order to take advantage of a 144Hz monitor(i.e. actually seeing 144FPS), you will need a video card powerful enough to actually push 144FPS. In order to do that in some games, you may need to turn some settings down.

Watch this Techquickie for an in depth explanation:

I was watching Barnacules' video on his new puget system and he was talking about frame rate. He said if you have a 120 or a 144 hertz monitor ( I have 144hz) you might have to turn down some settings. So does refresh rate effect FPS?

the refresh rate of the monitor is the fps that it can handle

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

The refresh rate of your monitor does not affect your FPS. The reason he said to lower some of your settings is that the graphics card you're using might not be able to output 120/144FPS at the settings you're using.

Yes and no your graphics card will not put out more than it can but if you have more than 60 hertz you can see more than 60 fps and you can actually deep to that many fps however your gpu does not have to put out the ax amount you "CAN" see

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

It can. some games auto cap it to the refresh rate even without VSync. Other than that, what the other people said.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

No but the refresh rate is usually what you want in games that have a screen tear at a FPS higher than the refresh rate.

But everyone has been telling me that setting the refresh rate at 60hz rather than 144hz gets you better frames is that true?

the refresh rate of the monitor is the fps that it can handle

hertz is the measurement of the wavelegnth from crest to crest of a wave. one hert is one "refresh". so if your monitor is 60htz, then it refreshes 60 times per second, therefore it is 60fps.

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Basically the refresh rate of the monitor is the maximum FPS visible. So using a 60Hz monitor, you will only ever actually see 60FPS, even if you're pushing 60+ FPS.

The monitor will never affect game performance, but in order to take advantage of a 144Hz monitor(i.e. actually seeing 144FPS), you will need a video card powerful enough to actually push 144FPS. In order to do that in some games, you may need to turn some settings down.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Thank you I undertsand now :D

But everyone has been telling me that setting the refresh rate at 60hz rather than 144hz gets you better frames is that true?

No. The monitor's refresh rate does not affect the performance of a GPU.

The only thing that the monitor's refresh rate affects is the maximum framerate that can be effectively displayed.. If you're running a game at ~120 FPS but you only have a 60 hz monitor, you're effectively only seeing 60 FPS. For you to see 120 FPS, you would need to have a 120 hz monitor (and of course enough GPU power to run the game at 120).

It is the case that targeting 60 FPS does allow you to run a game at higher graphics settings than trying to run the same game at 120/144 FPS, because raising settings always lowers your framerate (higher settings = more processing time per frame = lower framerate).. In that sense, running games at 60 FPS can give you a better looking image than 120 FPS, provided that the GPU is the same.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Actually....well......

CURRENTLY, assuming that VERTICAL SYNC is OFF so that the fps is uncapped, refresh rate of the monitor does NOT affect the framerate in this day and age.

However, this was NOT always the case!

Before the days of shader units and pixel and vertex shaders, fill rate was determined solely by memory bandwidth and GPU mhz.  During those days, refresh rate had an ADVERSE effect on the framerate!  Going from 60 hz to 100 hz would drop framerate by as much as 20%! 

So some people would run at 60 hz refresh rate to get much better framerates.

Nowadays this isn't a problem.

This is one reason why Voodoo2 and TNT owners would usually only run SLI or 1024x768 at 60 hz.

I was watching Barnacules' video on his new puget system and he was talking about frame rate. He said if you have a 120 or a 144 hertz monitor ( I have 144hz) you might have to turn down some settings. So does refresh rate effect FPS?

He meant that if you want to reach 120 or 144 FPS to benefit from those monitors, you may have to turn down some settings depending on your system and the game in question. As said above, refresh rate simply dictates the practical limit to how many frames can be shown to you per second. It does not affect how fast your PC is able render a game.