Chernobyl

Sasquatch43

So i was watching tv and saw chernobyl diaries and thought i wonder what chernobyl looks like on google maps and when looking around i saw there was a white van almost right next to where the power plant that went off and i thought would it still be radioactive it has been over 20 years and if so do you think this white van was someone seeing if it was still radioactive. just a little thought when i was watching tv.

It is still radioactive but you can go in the for a few minutes. I have seen some videos on YouTube where people go there.

They are also building a new safe confinement around it.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

I too was quite interested in the incident after watching Chernobyl Diaries.

The site its self it still highly radio active. They are currently building a second shield to be placed over the reactor to stop the radioactivity from leaking into the air. That's where most of the radioactivity is, is near the plant itself. I think it is still a couple thousand years before the ground zero become habitable again.

The area surrounding the plant is still uninhabitable for couple mile radius but it can be visited such as a tourist attraction Pripyat. Some areas are worse than others though. 

I think Discover Channel had a documentary on the incident that was quite an interesting watch to see what happened and how it was handled.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

by the way, the nuclear plant remained active until the year 2000, they still needed the electricity it generated.

reactor 4 of course failed 1986, but the remaining ones remained active, #2 was decommissioned in 91 after a fire, in 96 reactor 1 was shut down and in dec of 2000 the last one (#3) was shut down.

but these are still in the decommissioning process which takes years to complete, so Chernobyl is all but deserted 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

So the video states that there are still bodies entombed there.  Would the radiation kill off all organisms associated with decomposition resulting in mummification?

Honor First!

I'm confused about the mummification thing you asked. And when the incident happened the USSR got its military and made sure to protect that area and a lot if military vehicles got radioactive contamination so they parked them together and are still there abandoned

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I'm confused about the mummification thing you asked. And when the incident happened the USSR got its military and made sure to protect that area and a lot if military vehicles got radioactive contamination so they parked them together and are still there abandoned

not all the vehicles in that surplus yard are contaminated, its a general surplus facility over there.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

So the video states that there are still bodies entombed there.  Would the radiation kill off all organisms associated with decomposition resulting in mummification?

they have found bacteria in chernobyl that lives off the radiation , there looking at using it in nuclear waste / other melt downs

Its all about those volumetric clouds