I'm going to try Windows 8.1

orangecat

So with the potential release of Windows 10 right around the corner i feel as if i really should upgrade from Windows 7. i'm going to try out Windows 8.1 but when i tried it before i reinstalled Windows 7 in less than an hour of using it. Is there anything I shoudl know or is it basically Windows 7 with a different interface?

Uh. What's the point in trying Windows 8? You'll get Win 10 for free nonetheless.

It's pretty much just, as you said, Windows 7 with a (imo crappier) different layout.

Install StartIsBack or Classic Shell.  This removes a lot of headaches people experience when switching from 7 to 8/8.1.  I personally recommend StartIsBack; it is $5, but it work so much better than Classic Shell.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is uninstall any junk you don't want, and switch some default programs from the full screen versions to the desktop versions.  (picture viewer is an example)

There isn't really much different in terms of functionality.  I would probably just stay with 7 until 10 comes out.

Install Windows 8.1, install Classic Shell.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Uh. What's the point in trying Windows 8? You'll get Win 10 for free nonetheless.

It's pretty much just, as you said, Windows 7 with a (imo crappier) different layout.

THIS... Win10 is a few months away from release.

I am assuming you are buying it.

I reccomend trying it without adding anything...it really isnt that bad ive been used an unmolested win8 since release. 8.1 is definitely better for sure but ya its perfectly useable with addon BS

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit