Help. Smoke and spark from fan splitter

Tor-Andre

I have 4 corsair 3 pin fans on my radiator.

I wanted to connect them together so I could connect them to a singel fan header on the mother board.

I wanted to test my fans so I connected the 4 fans with the 3 pins to the fan splitter, then I put the molex from the fan splitter (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/accessories/cables/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended.html) to my PSU.

I only have the radiator and the fans in the case, so its not connected to the motherboard.

I use the a pin bridge on the 24 pin cable so I can get power from the psu by turning it on and off.

When I switch on the PSU I hear a spark sound and I see smoke from the bundle of cables which is the fan splitter.

What went wrong here? Too much power into the fan splitter? Shouldnt this be controlled by the PSU?

post-32172-0-82724900-1429928085_thumb.j

-SNIP-

That splitter will have the fans run at 12V since it's PWM control and you have 3 pin fans but that shouldn't be a problem not sure why that happened with the sparking. Where did it spark and did it melt the connectors?

Corsair products seem to be catching on fire lately.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Corsair products seem to be catching on fire lately.

Refering to fans or PSU?

I have investigated this further and I found out the issue was that I had drilled a screw right through one of the fan cables. So thats an obvious issue.

I made a little video here showing the issue. You can see 4 fan cables connected to the header. And that I powered it with a molex from the PSU.

When I found out what cable it was and removed that fan with the broken cable. The other 3 worked nicely.

I have investigated this further and I found out the issue was that I had drilled a screw right through one of the fan cables. So thats an obvious issue.

e I made a little video here showing the issue. You can see 4 fan cables connected to the header. And that I powered it with a molex from the PSU.

When I found out what cable it was and removed that fan with the broken cable. The other 3 worked nicely.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons