Cheap home recording studio

Cs342

Spec sheets are great and all....but have you used either?

The M40 have lower inpedance, sure. The Sonys don't need an amp whatsoever-- I use them without an amp 99% of the time. When I do plug them in, it makes a small fairly negligible difference compared to other headphones I own.

Looks, sure, but it's a headphone. The Sonys look the way they do for durability and portability under all kinds of use and abuse.

Ultimately, try both, buy the one you like the most.

The M40 have lower inpedance, sure. The Sonys don't need an amp whatsoever-- I use them without an amp 99% of the time. When I do plug them in, it makes a small fairly negligible difference compared to other headphones I own.

Looks, sure, but it's a headphone. The Sonys look the way they do for durability and portability under all kinds of use and abuse.

I actually already have a paid of Sennheiser HD 202 II headphones, will they be good enough for basic recording?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I own a M40X along with these badboys Razer Kraken Pro, Marshall Major FX, Razer Hammerhead Pro, Sennheiser HD 558. I haven't tried YET the MDR 7506 because its not freakin available here. I actually bought my M40'S (not available here) stateside and my aunt shipped it to me. (availability here sucks so bad) got it of a deal on amazon for $100 bundled with it the Creative Sound Blaster E1. i actually considered the 7506.

but the M40's it comfy portable and VERY VERY FLAT.

CPU: Intel Core I5 - 444| Motherboard: GA-B85M-HD3 Rev 1.0 | RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8Gb 1600Mhz (F312800CL10S-8GBX) | GPU: PowerColor HD7850 1Gb DDR5 256Bit (AX7850 1GBD5-DH) | Case: NZXT Source 210 Windowed White | Storage: Seagate 1Tb 7200Rpm 3.5" Sata (ST1000DM003) | PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 600Watts Black Edition | Display: BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X, Cooler Master Blade Master 120, Deep Cool XFAN 120 | Sound: Razer Kraken Pro, Marshall Major FX, Razer Hammerhead Pro, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser HD 558, Antlion Audio ModMic 4.0, Fiio 6E Portable Amp, Creative Sound Blaster E1 Dac/Amp | Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

I own a M40X along with these badboys Razer Kraken Pro, Marshall Major FX, Razer Hammerhead Pro, Sennheiser HD 558. I haven't tried YET the MDR 7506 because its not freakin available here. I actually bought my M40'S (not available here) stateside and my aunt shipped it to me. (availability here sucks so bad) got it of a deal on amazon for $100 bundled with it the Creative Sound Blaster E1. i actually considered the 7506.

but the M40's it comfy portable and VERY VERY FLAT.

Aren't the M50s better?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

As a starting point, you'd be good to get a mixer and audio interface. For a beginner, I'd recommend these:

Mixer: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1204USB

Interface: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i4

and if in need of some over ear monitors: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro

That company (Sweetwater) is in the town I live in, and I do a great deal of business with them. Fully recommended.

Why would he need both? He can achieve everything he wants with the interface and software. No need to get a hardware mixer.

The M50s are garbage for any studio use other than listen to the final mix. Try to get something more neutral. I would recommend some K701s for example.

Anyway I have been there and it is better to buy decent gear step by step, since you gonna upgrade anyways.

Next part is if you buy pro gear, buy it used since most of it is build to last for ever.

Not the real cheap stuff but you get what I am saying.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2015 at 1:51 PM, Cs342 said:

Hi guys, I'm a musician on a budget and I currently own a few electric guitar, a bass, an electronic drum kit and a powerful PC. I want to start recording my own music but I'm not sure where to start gear-wise. What is the cheapest way to get started with recording if I already have all the instruments I need and a computer? Please list specific products if possible. Thanks!

It sounds like you have everything you need.  Get a DAW like REAPER (free to evaluate).

Some mixers/producers use analog, but some go almost entirely digital.  It's up to preference; outboard gear for FX aren't really necessity.  FX plugins and the DAW can basically do everything nowadays.  The only limit is your skill in recording, mixing and mastering.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage