Can I upgrade my laptop to a intel 4790k?

Is this CPU bigger than a regular laptop CPU, since this is a desktop CPU?
Some laptops ships with the Intel 4790k but i don't know if the motherboard is design to have a 4790K.
Could I just buy this CPU and put it in my Alienware M17x r3?

The 4790K is a desktop CPU only, so no it won't fit into your laptop. Besides, some laptops have the CPU soldered on so you cannot replace them in the first place :)

Some laptops ships with the Intel 4790k but i don't know if the motherboard is design to have a 4790K.

No you can not put a desktop CPU into a laptop....although you can upgrade your CPU....(I think) for you Aleinware....I doubt you would need anymore performance then your near top-tier laptop

The 4790K is a desktop CPU only, so no it won't fit into your laptop. Besides, some laptops have the CPU soldered on so you cannot replace them in the first place :)

Yes there is laptops that ships the 4790K so it's not just for desktops : )

I just wondered if I needed a special motherboard for that or maybe it would just fit.

No you can not put a desktop CPU into a laptop

You can in some cases, although not in this one. @kiicki, even if the socket was compatible and the substitution was easy, the cooler would not be able to handle the 4790k, same for the power delivery. You'd fry the motherboard, or melt it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No you can not put a desktop CPU into a laptop....although you can upgrade your CPU....(I think) for you Aleinware....I doubt you would need anymore performance then your near top-tier laptop

Ofcourse you can upgrade you CPU. And the 4790K isn't just for desktops. I have seen laptops shipping with that CPU.

You can in some cases, although not in this one. @kiicki, even if the socket was compatible and the substitution was easy, the cooler would not be able to handle the 4790k, same for the power delivery. You'd fry the motherboard, or melt it.

Thanks, Then I need to buy a laptop that already ships with this CPU to be on the safe side. Tired of slow CPU's.

Up to my knowledge it's not possible. Better you can contact dell customer support.

Researching a bit, the CPU in your laptop is i7 2XXXQM.

That uses the fcpga988 socket. So you can upgrade to any CPU utilizing that socket.

The highest end CPU you can get is i7-2960XM (Quad core Sandy Bridge at 2.7 Base and 3.7 Turbo Clock). Find the list here from wikipedia.

Thanks, Then I need to buy a laptop that already ships with this CPU to be on the safe side. Tired of slow CPU's.

Or you could get a desktop :) either way there are some mobile cpus that are not much slower than a desktop i5, you don't really need a 4790k...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Up to my knowledge it's not possible. Better you can contact dell customer support.

Yeah, I think it's not possible to upgrade on my laptop, but I think I'm going to buy a Multicom with that CPU. They also ships the geforce980M. To bad it's not SLI because that laptop looked perfect for my taste

Or you could get a desktop :) either way there are some mobile cpus that are not much slower than a desktop i5, you don't really need a 4790k...

It's not only about what I need now, but it could be handy it the feature. and I do need a good CPU for what I do on my laptop.

Researching a bit, the CPU in your laptop is i7 2XXXQM.

That uses the fcpga988 socket. So you can upgrade to any CPU utilizing that socket.

The highest end CPU you can get is i7-2960XM (Quad core Sandy Bridge at 2.7 Base and 3.7 Turbo Clock). Find the list here from wikipedia.

I will probably buy a new laptop. getting tired of this one. Feels like this laptops is coming appart.

You will have next to no battery life with a 4790k..

What are you doing on your laptop that you "need" a 4790k?? I work in a company that does everything from support to dev to graphics to audio and video work and no-one has anything bigger than an i5 in their laptops and everything works fine.

If you really need more power.. build a rendering rig or similar and throw in multiple 12 core chips. It's the only thing you "need" more power for.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

You will have next to no battery life with a 4790k..

What are you doing on your laptop that you "need" a 4790k?? I work in a company that does everything from support to dev to graphics to audio and video work and no-one has anything bigger than an i5 in their laptops and everything works fine.

If you really need more power.. build a rendering rig or similar and throw in multiple 12 core chips. It's the only thing you "need" more power for.

If they really think that they don't need something better than a i5 when you do heavy work on a laptop, then they don't have any clue. I also don't have any time for a argument between someone who doesn't even see the point in having somthing better than a i5.

And second. I don't want a rendering rig. I feel like everybody is answering with even buy a rendering rig or a desktop when a specifically want a laptop. I'm just tired of needed to repeat my self that I want a laptop. I'm full aware that a desktop is more powerfull and cheaper, but that's not the point. : )

EDIT: Also the 4790K isn't that expensive either. It is actually for a really good price for what you get when you buy it.

So it isn't just like throwing your money away.

If they really think that they don't need something better than a i5 when you do heavy work on a laptop, then they don't have any clue. I also don't have any time for a argument between someone who doesn't even see the point in having somthing better than a i5.

And second. I don't want a rendering rig. I feel like everybody is answering with even buy a rendering rig or a desktop when a specifically want a laptop. I'm just tired of needed to repeat my self that I want a laptop. I'm full aware that a desktop is more powerfull and cheaper, but that's not the point. : )

EDIT: Also the 4790K isn't that expensive either. It is actually for a really good price for what you get when you buy it.

So it isn't just like throwing your money away.

You want a laptop.. got it.. but the point of a laptop is portability.. Your going to kill the portability with having no battery life with that chip is my point.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

You want a laptop.. got it.. but the point of a laptop is portability.. Your going to kill the portability with having no battery life with that chip is my point.

If i'm going to play games I will always use a charger. When I don't have a charger I will put it in battery mode. I'm pretty sure most of the cores are also parked when I'm not using them so I don't even have to use battery mode. if not, I could do it in regedit and park cores when I'm not using them. It's standard that cores are pakred when not using them in laptops so it will save battery life. I'm pretty sure that companies like Origin and Multicom have figured out how a CPU like that can be in a laptop without losing battery life in 10 minutes.

like the others said, that won't be possible even upgrading to another laptop cpu is risky, many manufacturers lock the bios down. you could see whet model of your notebook has the highest end cpu and buy that cpu. but be aware that the better notebook could have a different cooling setup.

honestly, i wouldn't even try to upgrade it, sell it if you need more performance.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace