Devil's Canyon OC Stress Testing?!

I know how to OC a chip but am looking for advice on stress testing software. My favorite way of validating has been a 48 hour small fft run of the latest version of prime 95. If I try this on my 4790K it will immediately hit 100c. I know prime avx2 at high temps is terrible for Haswell. Forced to use alternate methods I have found other stress testing software.

Aida64

Asus Real Bench

Intel XTU

OCCT

What do you guys recommend and for how long?

all of that is good. pick the one you like. the most common one is AIDA,OCCT, and XTU. run for 3 hour to make sure it's stable.

all of that is good. pick the one you like. the most common one is AIDA,OCCT, and XTU. run for 3 hour to make sure it's stable.

I'm running Intel XTU, it's been 9 hours so far (max temps 70C). Hopefully that and a couple other tests will validate the OC.

I'm running Intel XTU, it's been 9 hours so far (max temps 70C). Hopefully that and a couple other tests will validate the OC.

what are your clock speed/voltage? prime95 doesn't work well with Haswell Chip.

what are your clock speed/voltage? prime95 doesn't work well with Haswell Chip.

So far Ive gotten 4.7 at 1.260 volts. When the room is hot all other stress test utilities will top out at 75-85C. Prime will on the other hand will wreck my chip.

I know how to OC a chip but am looking for advice on stress testing software. My favorite way of validating has been a 48 hour small fft run of the latest version of prime 95. If I try this on my 4790K it will immediately hit 100c. I know prime avx2 at high temps is terrible for Haswell. Forced to use alternate methods I have found other stress testing software.

Aida64

Asus Real Bench

Intel XTU

OCCT

Stress test with Manual voltage, NOT ADAPTIVE OR AUTO, and you should be able to stress test with Prime95 if you have the right version of Prime95.

After stress testing feel free to switch it back to Adaptive voltage.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

So far Ive gotten 4.7 at 1.260 volts. When the room is hot all other stress test utilities will top out at 75-85C. Prime will on the other hand will wreck my chip.

I was having the same problem, and I got about the same overclock as you, except when I did manual voltage and stess tested 1.262 with prime95 i would crash.

Not from heat, it ended up not being stable, you just need to test with Manual voltage on stress tests, as Prime95 is overvolting your system.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Stress test with Manual voltage, NOT ADAPTIVE OR AUTO, and you should be able to stress test with Prime95 if you have the right version of Prime95.

After stress testing feel free to switch it back to Adaptive voltage.

I've ran on manual so far. I think the latest version uses Avx2. What version is safe for Haswell?

I've ran on manual so far. I think the latest version uses Avx2. What version is safe for Haswell?

I have version 28.5 I believe.

I was able to get 4.7 with v1.262 stress testing on Intel XTU, but when I used prime95 and manual voltage I would crash, so I didn't consider it stable after the fact. But I did run v1.262 for a while on 4.7 and didnt have any problems, but in the end I just put it up to v1.3

If you keep having problems with Prime95, just go to Aida64 and use the trial version, you probably wont see those temps with Aida like you are with Prime. Should be safer too.

Aida64

Asus Real Bench

Intel XTU

OCCT

Skip Prime95 all together for Haswell stress testing. It will always give you high temps due to adapting the voltage way to high to be safe. Any of the programs you listed would work just fine. I personally use OCCT for 20 minutes with a 3 minute cooldown of either end of the test. If your voltage is too low in OCCT it will error, too high and the temps will be unstable.

I also run POVRay's benchmark scene for stability purposes.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

I was able to get 4.7 with v1.262 stress testing on Intel XTU, but when I used prime95 and manual voltage I would crash, so I didn't consider it stable after the fact. But I did run v1.262 for a while on 4.7 and didnt have any problems, but in the end I just put it up to v1.3

If you keep having problems with Prime95, just go to Aida64 and use the trial version, you probably wont see those temps with Aida like you are with Prime. Should be safer too.

That's the problem isn't it, after using prime for so long all other tests feel invalid! I'll probably use an older version of prime, open some Windows, hope my proc doesn't melt. I'll give AIDA64 a try to.

Skip Prime95 all together for Haswell stress testing. It will always give you high temps due to adapting the voltage way to high to be safe. Any of the programs you listed would work just fine. I personally use OCCT for 20 minutes with a 3 minute cooldown of either end of the test. If your voltage is too low in OCCT it will error, too high and the temps will be unstable.

I also run POVRay's benchmark scene for stability purposes.

What type of OCCT should I use, standard, or linpack?

What type of OCCT should I use, standard, or linpack?

I use the CPU: OCCT test, large data set.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Prime 95 26.6 and earlier is safe, in my experience with Haswell at least. Anything newer uses AVX2 as far as i know and causes ridiculous temps. I just use XTU and AIDA64 now.

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C