Honey Badger Brigade Banned From Calgary Expo Forever

SImoHayha

Hello everyone in random/found news by me today.

If you didn't know the Calgary Expo is Comic & Entertainment Expo in Canada. And they are getting some backlash from some consumers for banning The Honey Badger Brigade( HBB) , a men right's activist group from ever coming to any Expo hosted by them forever. Now the problem lies in that many people are saying that the reason they were banned was due to there gamergate merchandise and supporting gamergate.

You see gamergate has been so darn twisted because what it was originally about was talking about the ethics in gaming journalism, however its been twisted into something associated with men  hating on women as well as harassing women as well.

Now the Q&A in question seems to be about this tiny little clip shown here. Were one of the HBB found members Alison Tieman talks about why she dislikes feminism.

Which I totally agree we her, because they always make it seem that women are always the victim sometimes they simply aren't. Like that one video of a women walking through new york in yoga pants and firm fitting clothes, sure some of the guys were a tad bit weird however some of them were actually nice and just simply complementing her. Which made it seem like being nice is harassing women. However today feminism has also changed greatly today into a whole different meaning.  But the true meaning of feminism is to have both men and women to be equal.

Alison says that their booth was approached by convention staff early on Friday, who told them they had to leave. When asked by the group the staff said they wouldn't give an answer without any recording equipment on them, to record the convo. After the recording equipment had been turned off they gave the reason and it was that there was 25 separate reports of "harassment" at the panel event.

Here is a link to the entire recording....beware its kinda sounded like at times the mic was shuffled around constantly which hurts your ears. 

Now this is what the expo has to say on their decision

saying that they violated a mandate for having a " positive and safe event for everyone " and that the " exhibitor in question does not fall in line with this mandate "  “We have evidence that the group in question was actively disregarding our mandate. We support free speech – and continue to promote equality across the board. Their removal from the show had zero to do with gender, and everything to do with our show policies, which apply to all exhibitors and attendees.“We are very proud of our initiative for #ExpoEquality and we wish everyone a happy, safe and fun Expo.” "

Well what do you guys think about this issue ? I certain think they shouldn't have been kicked and banned...certainly sucks for them.

Sources: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1343383/rumours-of-gamergate-booth-at-calgary-expo-have-fans-up-in-arms/

http://www.destructoid.com/men-s-rights-activism-and-gamergate-group-removed-from-calgary-expo-290655.phtml

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/18/female-group-ejected-from-comic-expo-for-criticizing-feminism/

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I think people might be afraid to touch this one with a 20 foot pole haha
All i can say is i think what the woman said in the first clip was very eloquently and intelligently put.
A very good way of bringing to light the issue.

Sounds like a case of "We're 100% in favour of free speech as long as you agree with us" and you don't agree with our beliefs regarding feminism.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

Sounds like a case of "We're 100% in favour of free speech as long as you agree with us" and you don't agree with our beliefs regarding feminism.

YEa sounds exactly like that.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Meh. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. There are event rules, follow them. Expo has every right to shut down groups that rustle jimmies to the point that other people don't feel safe. 

An apt and clear explanation of modern day "feminism"

(note: I am making a jab at those like sarkeesian and the rest of her ilk, not at real feminists.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I heard they disrupted panels and were all around assholes. If that's how you're going to behave at a con, then good riddance.

(note: I am making a jab at those like sarkeesian and the rest of her ilk, not at real feminists.)

"modern day feminism" is just gender feminism and its been around for decades...

Equity feminism is the non-vocal majority that most people tend to fall under.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

Feminism

fem-i-nism ic_sound_holo_dark.png (fĕm′ə-nĭz′əm)

1. The radical belief that women are people too

2. The movement organized around this belief

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :P  I'll get my coat

Feminism

fem-i-nism ic_sound_holo_dark.png (fĕm′ə-nĭz′əm)

1. The radical belief that women are people too

2. The movement organized around this belief

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :P  I'll get my coat

I did put "feminism" in what I thought were sarcastic quotes. I wasn't referring to actual feminists, who do things like fight the white slave trade and sharia law, I was referring to "feminazi's" such as anita sarkeesian who give feminists a bad name.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I heard they disrupted panels and were all around assholes. If that's how you're going to behave at a con, then good riddance.

"modern day feminism" is just gender feminism and its been around for decades...

Equity feminism is the non-vocal majority that most people tend to fall under.

If you watched the video and read some of the soruces....sorry forgot to mention, but the did nothing to disrupt panels.....most people are saying its because of the thing she said whte small little video. Were she says she dislikes feminism.

If you watched the video and read some of the soruces....sorry forgot to mention, but the did nothing to disrupt panels.....most people are saying its because of the thing she said whte small little video. Were she says she dislikes feminism.

So I started watching the second video. What moron goes into a "Women in Comics" panel touting that men have problems too?

Edit: Oh wow, then they get in a more heated debate with the panelists. I'm sure that was not what this panel was supposed to be.

Edit2: Yeah, they disrupted the panel.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

Yeah, this is a pretty crap situation for them. Just saw this: afterwards they were holding a picnic in a nearby park and a police officer came by expressing someones concerns that the group would try to return to the expo:

https://mobile.twitter.com/naughty_nerdess/status/589940756351180800

I wouldn't think they left quietly.

Gaymergate is fucking retarded, what is more stupid is the people that call themselves "gamers", someone who watches movies frequently doesn't call themselves a "movier" for fucks sake.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Seemed fairly civil to me:

I was talking about them leaving the con.

Also, all this footage is filmed by the group in question, yeah? What stops them from just not releasing the more incriminating bits of their behaviour at the con?