Your perfect tablet

Hey, I though this would be an interesting thread, because nowadays tablets come in so many flavors. This has also been on my mind recently because next year my school is replacing all text and work books with Iran airs and air2s. And I'm also very interested in what other people would like in tablets and why.

Anyway, here is how this works:

TABLET SPECS:

Here you put all the specs of the tablet like screen size, battery, storage, OS, etc.

USAGE SCENARIO:

Tablets are used for many different things, just say how you would you use and explain your specs and why you chose them

And anything also you want to say below that

Also, when replying, you don't have to format like that, only when initially introducing your tablet.

- snip-

8 inch, highish res screen, win 8, 4gb ram, 64gb storage, micro HDMI, full size USB 3.0, full size SD card reader

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

SPECS:

cpu - one of the recent quad core 64-bit atoms, preferablty paired with a capable smartphone/tablet gpu or intel hd graphics

ram - at least 2gb, but I'd rather have 4.

OS - windows. Not so much because I want windows, but because it would mean installing linux on it would be easy enough. Getting ubuntu and android in dual boot on my nexus 7 wasn't easy and it's certainly not a trouble free experience ^^

screen - 7" 1080p (ips or oled) or 10" 1440p.

storage - 64gb, expandable

battery - needs to last a full day, anything more is a bonus. I like asus' and others' approach of hiding part of the battery in the removable keyboard.

keyboard - a detachable keyboard with a battery extender and a few usb (maybe even ethernet) ports.

USAGE SCENARIO

I'd be using this at my university in place of the aforementioned nexus 7. I study IT engineering, so the main use for it would be coding; that is why a pretty high resolution and a keyboard are essential (right now I use a bluetooth one that also acts as stand for the tablet). 720p is fine, but leaves me a bit wanting.

I want a decent cpu and gpu to play some less demanding games during free time, as well as generally running office and other multimedia programs without problems (I'd also be watching movies and youtube with this while traveling). Ports are essential, always, hence why I want more than the micro usb on the tablet itself. 64gb of internal memory are useful for having multiple operating systems as well as hosting a couple of said light/old games. Expandable, because that would offer me more storage for documents and media and at the same time let me see my camera's pictures on a nice screen before getting home.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

TABLET SPECS:
Between a 9" and 10" screen, but a thin and light body. Meant to be held. High quality IPS, 1440p+.

32gb of storage, expandable via either micro or standard SD card with the ability to have it completely concealed.

Windows 10. Maybe Android but preferably not.

Nice, fast Atom processor.

3gb RAM.

Large battery, enough for 5ish hours of on screen time. Honestly don't need more than that.

Stylus input, with very high precision.

Dual front facing speakers, tucked away like the Sony units.

NFC, Dual band WiFi, SIM slot, USB 3.1 Type C, magnetic charging.

USAGE SCENARIO:
I'd just use mine for surfing the web while I'm on the couch. Anything more and I'll move to the laptop or PC.

Note taking would also be a pretty useful feature.

I don't see the point in using a tablet to replace a laptop, when ultrabooks are honestly just a lot better with very, very minimal added bulk.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

SPECS:

cpu - one of the recent quad core 64-bit atoms, preferablty paired with a capable smartphone/tablet gpu or intel hd graphics

ram - at least 2gb, but I'd rather have 4.

OS - windows. Not so much because I want windows, but because it would mean installing linux on it would be easy enough. Getting ubuntu and android in dual boot on my nexus 7 wasn't easy and it's certainly not a trouble free experience ^^

screen - 7" 1080p (ips or oled) or 10" 1440p.

storage - 64gb, expandable

battery - needs to last a full day, anything more is a bonus. I like asus' and others' approach of hiding part of the battery in the removable keyboard.

keyboard - a detachable keyboard with a battery extender and a few usb (maybe even ethernet) ports.

USAGE SCENARIO

I'd be using this at my university in place of the aforementioned nexus 7. I study IT engineering, so the main use for it would be coding; that is why a pretty high resolution and a keyboard are essential (right now I use a bluetooth one that also acts as stand for the tablet). 720p is fine, but leaves me a bit wanting.

I want a decent cpu and gpu to play some less demanding games during free time, as well as generally running office and other multimedia programs without problems (I'd also be watching movies and youtube with this while traveling). Ports are essential, always, hence why I want more than the micro usb on the tablet itself. 64gb of internal memory are useful for having multiple operating systems as well as hosting a couple of said light/old games. Expandable, because that would offer me more storage for documents and media and at the same time let me see my camera's pictures on a nice screen before getting home.

Damn, that's actually nearly exactly what I was thinking!

Also, kinda a side note, but how does the tetra x1 stack up against the atoms?

- snip-

Damn, that's actually nearly exactly what I was thinking!

Also, kinda a side note, but how does the tetra x1 stack up against the atoms?

From what I know, higher end atoms win on the cpu front, but loose when it comes to the gpu (as you'd expect). Of course the tegra also locks you in to android and even if there are ways to get some desktop linux systems running on it they are still the arm version, so the program variety is much lower (although sufficient for many tasks). At the moment I just don't see the point in a tegra x1 device, it will play android games very well and some pc classics are getting ported now, but atoms can play a huge variety of great games that will probably never make it to android (not to mention full mouse and keyboard support if you have windows on it).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Honestly, the iPad Air 2 is an incredible tablet.

-The screen is gorgeous, and laminated to the glass to avoid the first Air's air gap

-The tri-core CPU, 2GB of RAM and quad-core graphics all surpass previous specs enough to guarantee smooth operation longer than any previous model.

-iOS is, of course, a fantastic and well-optimized tablet OS that really only lacks split-screen multitasking. We'll see in iOS 9 :P

-iOS has the best-looking games on mobile, hands-down. The Metal API is like DX12 for mobile and let's games run at 60FPS and look stunning.

-Apps on iPad are much better than Android ones; they're much more than blown-up smartphone apps.

-HBO Now :D

-iTunes, iBooks and the App Store are all the best respective digital markets available.

-The iPad itself is built to an insane precision, and looks gorgeous.

-Battery life is still class-leading. Well over the advertised 10 hours.

-The screen is gorgeous, and laminated to the glass to avoid the first Air's air gap

-The tri-core CPU, 2GB of RAM and quad-core graphics all surpass previous specs enough to guarantee smooth operation longer than any previous model.

-iOS is, of course, a fantastic and well-optimized tablet OS that really only lacks split-screen multitasking. We'll see in iOS 9 :P

-iOS has the best-looking games on mobile, hands-down. The Metal API is like DX12 for mobile and let's games run at 60FPS and look stunning.

-Apps on iPad are much better than Android ones; they're much more than blown-up smartphone apps.

-iTunes, iBooks and the App Store are all the best respective digital markets available.

Sure it's great, but

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€€£££££¥¥¥

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

From what I know, higher end atoms win on the cpu front, but loose when it comes to the gpu (as you'd expect). Of course the tegra also locks you in to android and even if there are ways to get some desktop linux systems running on it they are still the arm version, so the program variety is much lower (although sufficient for many tasks). At the moment I just don't see the point in a tegra x1 device, it will play android games very well and some pc classics are getting ported now, but atoms can play a huge variety of great games that will probably never make it to android (not to mention full mouse and keyboard support if you have windows on it).

thanks, really helpful!

- snip-

Yeah, the Ipad air 2 is pretty amazing :)

*gets slaughtered by Apple haters*

My complaint is the $$$$ :P

- snip-

thanks, really helpful!

EDIT: and also, does cpu matter in terms of inputs? @Souron

- snip-

8 inch, highish res screen, win 8, 4gb ram, 64gb storage, micro HDMI, full size USB 3.0, full size SD card reader

I support this post! :D

Sure it's great, but

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€€£££££¥¥¥

But it's worth it.

A $200 plastic Android tablet is meant to be used for a year or two, and be replaced. An iPad will last as long as you want it to.

But it's worth it.

A $200 plastic Android tablet is meant to be used for a year or two, and be replaced. An iPad will last as long as you want it to.

Right, right.

IPad ones still cost a pretty penny, and are just getting old now

TABLET SPECS:

Surface Pro 2 with SP3 specs, a dedicated GPU, 8Gb+ RAM, and a bigger battery. (SP2 because 16:9 screen ratio. Or maybe I'd like a wide 21:9 tablet. Would be interesting)

USAGE SCENARIO:
I'd leave my laptop at home all the time, connected to the USB hub, and all other peripherals, and use the Surface for classes/light gaming/art/...

Also, instead of using the (relatively) heavy laptop in bed, I could use a Surface Pro. To read books/watch movies/check mail/...

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Right, right.

IPad ones still cost a pretty penny, and are just getting old now

But they came out in 2009, and were fully supported until 2012. The first-gen is a bad example though, it did have an unfortunate lifespan.

I still use an iPad 2 on a daily basis, and it runs well, has survived drops, runs the latest OS, and came out in 2011. And it's still better-designed than most other tablets.

TABLET SPECS:

Surface Pro 2 with SP3 specs, a dedicated GPU, 8Gb+ RAM, and a bigger battery. (SP2 because 16:9 screen ratio. Or maybe I'd like a wide 21:9 tablet. Would be interesting)

USAGE SCENARIO:

I'd leave my laptop at home all the time, connected to the USB hub, and all other peripherals, and use the Surface for classes/light gaming/art/...

Also, instead of using the (relatively) heavy laptop in bed, I could use a Surface Pro. To read books/watch movies/check mail/...

Huh, a 21:9 tablet would be extremely interesting... It would be amazing for gaming as your hands would not get in the way of your view. Alternatively it might be cumbersome to carry. And that would be the shit for reading forums and other long websites. :P

- snip-

Huh, a 21:9 tablet would be extremely interesting... It would be amazing for gaming as your hands would not get in the way of your view. Alternatively it might be cumbersome to carry. And that would be the shit for reading forums and other long websites. :P

Portrait mode :P? Wouldn't that be extremely useful?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

More advertising please, lol.

But it's worth it.

Eh not really, if the build quality and the CPU are good and thus the price is high too...

Surface Pro 3 with the Intel core i7 and 512 GB, only problem is that it is 3 times on what I spent on my desktop but I need the performance the work that I do

More advertising please, lol.

Pointing out legitimate things about a product I've used extensively isn't advertising. It's an opinion.

Pointing out legitimate things about a product I've used extensively isn't advertising. It's an opinion.

Not that.

It's the way you phrased it.

You rigid, rigid man.

Not that.

It's the way you phrased it.

You rigid, rigid man.

Congrats! You figured me out.

Congrats! You figured me out.

So...loosen up?