PC boots, fans spin 2 sec then shuts down.

Sgt_Archang3l

Hello,

i bought me a new pc and this is my hardware:

CPU: intel core I5 4670K

CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i

MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 gaming

PSU: corsair AX860

RAM: corsair Vengeance PRO 8GB 1600MHZ

CASE: Corsair Graphite 600T

HDD: Seagate barracuda 2TB

SSD: Samsung 840 series 250GB

OPTICAL: DVD burner

GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC

If i boot it the fans spin for 2 sec then it shuts down, 2nd time i want to boot it does nothing untill i press clear CMOS then it boots again for 2 sec and stops, no video signal,...

I really want to use my pc :( but i don't know the problem..

please help me 

Greetings,

Floris

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro series 8GB 1600MHz •  Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB • PSU: Corsair 860• Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65• Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 • Monitor: LG 23EA63 IPS • Case: Corsair Graphite  600t

There is another user with the same exact chip with the same problem. I think its possible that Intel might have a bad line of chips floating around. 

This kinda things are hard to diagnose... Best thing you can do is replace the ram with ram you know works , if that doesn't do anything you can pull out the gfx card and just leave the cpu+ cooler and the ram , if nothing helps ur basically kinda screwed ...

Interested in Business and Technology

Is everything connected, e.g. power cables? Have you tried reseating your CPU? Is it overheating?

first i thought its my H100i when i mounted the backplate it was i bit loose but when i installed the pump and tightened  the thumbscrews  it was really secure

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro series 8GB 1600MHz •  Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB • PSU: Corsair 860• Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65• Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 • Monitor: LG 23EA63 IPS • Case: Corsair Graphite  600t

This kinda things are hard to diagnose... Best thing you can do is replace the ram with ram you know works , if that doesn't do anything you can pull out the gfx card and just leave the cpu+ cooler and the ram , if nothing helps ur basically kinda screwed ...

I don't have any spare RAM and gfx card isn't even connected

If you find the processor to be faulty you may want to contact Intel's support which can be found here. I presume your processor is still under warranty as Haswell chips are fairly new. More information about warranty returns can be found here.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

I would suggest making sure you can get the rig to boot with only the basic hardware you need ( Mobo / PSU / HDD / RAM / CPU (with stock cooler) ) 

before you try installing water cooling and GPU.

This will allow you to eliminate the extra hardware as variables

Logically, that is the best way to find the problem.

From that information it's either bad hardware or a grounding short.

I recommend always testing your basic hardware on the mobo box to ensure grounding issues arent the problem too

-Just my 2 cents.

If you find the processor to be faulty you may want to contact Intel's support which can be found here. I presume your processor is still under warranty as Haswell chips are fairly new. More information about warranty returns can be found here.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

I talked to intel support and they think its the CPU or MOBO

What you can do is get a PCIe , troubleshoot code reader , you can pick them up for 10 bucks and they'll give you a 2digit code of whats wrong , only problem most of them dont come with a manual and you'll have to figure out what code is what...

Interested in Business and Technology

But it won't even boot so i can't see any on screen info or something i just see all connected fans spin for 2 sec. but still thanks now i'm drinking the pain away :(

Did you overclock the CPU at all? I had the same problem a while back from overclocking too hard.

If this is the case, try taking the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes and putting it back in (this will reset the clock speeds to default).

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Did you overclock the CPU at all? I had the same problem a while back from overclocking too hard.

If this is the case, try taking the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes and putting it back in (this will reset the clock speeds to default).

No i didn't even have the time to install windows, i wish to overclock but first i want to boot up. And what is the battery??? i saw in my install a battery and didn't know what it was.

check your psu cables, make sure none are damaged. I would also suggest trying a different psu if you have a spare. I had a psu fail on me, it had similar symptoms.

The board may be shorting out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I had the same problem aswell when i built my rig, but it ended up me putting the frontpannel conectors in wrong because non of the F/O mobo pins was labeled so had to check my mobo manual of each pin

Q.Q

I would suggest making sure you can get the rig to boot with only the basic hardware you need ( Mobo / PSU / HDD / RAM / CPU (with stock cooler) ) 

before you try installing water cooling and GPU.

This will allow you to eliminate the extra hardware as variables

Logically, that is the best way to find the problem.

^

This basically. Try reseating RAM first (has been a simple problem for many people).

I really recommend following this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

You can test the PSU yourself using the metal paper clip mod. 

After that you need to test the motherboard/CPU by removing the GPU and plugging your monitor into the onboard VGA/DVI port and seeing if it posts.

Unfortunately your 600T case doesn't come with a piezo speaker for beep patterns which can tell you which component is malfunctioning. They are pretty cheap and are relatively simple to understand:

• No beep - PSU/RAM
  • One short beep - Everything is fine
  • Long single beeps/series of short beeps - RAM

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

• 1 month later...

It was my PSU was defect, did RMA and now running smoothly :D