Not sure what is going on

raine

Occasionally when I am watching movies on VLC (the videos are stored on a physical drive, not SSD) I have something happen that I'm not sure what is causing it ...

It should look like this, but instead it looks like this.

Any insight into why this is happening would be appreciated.

AMD FX-6300 3.5 Ghz | Arctic Freezer A11 CPU Cooler | (4x4GB) 16 GB Hyper X Fury DDR3 1866 Mhz | Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 | Rosewill Glacier 500W PSU | 120 GB Kingston SSD (Windows 7 Boot/Application Drive) | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (Windows 10 Boot/Application Drive) | 1 TB Western Digital Blue (Storage Drive) | Bitfenix Neos | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit & Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

bitrate is shit.

move it to a faster drive

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

It's sitting on a 7200RPM drive with a 64MB cache ... the only other drive I have is my SSD ...

AMD FX-6300 3.5 Ghz | Arctic Freezer A11 CPU Cooler | (4x4GB) 16 GB Hyper X Fury DDR3 1866 Mhz | Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 | Rosewill Glacier 500W PSU | 120 GB Kingston SSD (Windows 7 Boot/Application Drive) | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (Windows 10 Boot/Application Drive) | 1 TB Western Digital Blue (Storage Drive) | Bitfenix Neos | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit & Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Source is the most common issue. Missing i-Frame, or you tracked to a b/p-frame. 

movies are basically a series of I frames with p/b frames inbetween them. p/b frames only store the changes from the previous I-frame. VLC, mplayer, windows media player classic, and alot of other video player let you seek to the p/b frames without having wait for the player to load the previous i frame and subsequent p/b frames, end result? screen is gray and the motion of the screen will fix itself first. 

EDIT: or when you track in them they will track to where you clicked not a centimeter to the left or right of where you clicked.

It usually happens when I go from a windowed to full screen view without pausing and stays like that until the base image changes (ex:different camera angle in a movie).

I don't use VLC so I can't tell you where the settings are, but based on past experiences with CCCP, changing the render fixed this for me (to WM9 or something like that).