Will I Have To Buy A New OS?

Jayhawk

So, I recently installed a new motherboard in my rig, a MSI SLI Krait Edition to be precise. This led to a torrent of new problems, such as errors popping up upon startup (not really that big of an issue, I'm sure I just need to delete useless utilities) and most importantly, me having to reactivate my Windows 8.1 with an activation code that I can't find (it's here somewhere). I looked up the MS support page and was brought to an onslaught of numbers to call... I was overwhelmed. I just need to know two things. Am I boned and need to just buy a new OS? If not, who do I need to call? Also, if you find an number that originates from an English speaking country, I will love you forever because I can't get through thick accents, like Indian ones... Specifically Indian ones... So, yeah, any help would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

Fresh install of windows would do the trick. Anytime you get a new mobo a clean install is basically required. 

no you don't

you can activate over teh phone

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Well then don't torrent problems!  :ph34r:

On a serious note, if you find your key (you should), you should be able to reinstall windows easily and just use that key. If you can't find it... there are ways to get it out of a past windows install (just google "find windows key in OS")

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

and yes..when changing boards...u basically have to clean install

But what about the activation number? Do I need it? All I have is the damn disc.

Edit: I just saw the post above. I just didn't get the notification from following the topic. I guess I should have refreshed the page first.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

u need the key to

otherwise there no real way to prove you actually bought it/ had it

But what about the activation number? Do I need it? All I have is the damn disc.

I did this a while ago, I think you just need the key, I just had to enter in my key and then they give you your activation number (if they ask a question like how many computers it is installed on, say 1 or something, or it will end the call).

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

Call the ghost busters! For cereal though, like the others said, clean install :(

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

It worked. Thanks everyone. Apparently I didn't even need the activation key anyways. No clean install required.