Where to start for learning programming?

DevilishBooster

So, I have wanted to learn programming for a long time, but I was stupid and never took any intro courses while I was in school so now I'm looking to teach myself. I was wondering if there is a "standard" path of progression (or order) for what programming languages one should learn. What I mean is, should I learn C, then C#, then C++, and so on? One of the main things I want to learn programming for is for using Arduinos and Raspberry PIs. I have a bunch of Instructables for making little robots and gadgets using both boards, and they include the programming codes with explainations, but I want to be able to work from scratch. I also found one on how to "create your own OS", which looks like it's just learning some basic coding and creating a super simple DOS like OS. I'm just hoping people have a consensus on what language I should start with. Thanks.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

there is no "standard" path but c and c++ are usually the way to go it'll be hard at the beginning but it'll help you understand all other language way more easily 

If you are a total noob I recommend Visual Basic or python, I lean toward visualbasic.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/MVA is agreat place if you want to C#.

The " Create Your Own OS " probably uses assembly.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

learn lisp its the closest to machine language. it will be hard but you will really understand programming on a deep level after learning it

learn lisp its the closest to machine language. it will be hard but you will really understand programming on a deep level after learning it

and next week learn to build a gearbox ... so in 3 years you really will understand how to drive a car ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

can we stop posting "where to start programming"-threads please.

there are already 1000s on the forum.

If you don't have the patience to look them up, you better should not start programming either.

and next week learn to build a gearbox ... so in 3 years you really will understand how to drive a car ...

the analogy would be to drive with manual transmission 

the analogy would be to drive with manual transmission

manual transmission <=> automatic

c++ <=> python

If you don't have the patience to look them up, you better should not start programming either.

everyone has specific needs and he needs to learn programming for stuff like raspberry pis and hes asking what language should he start with to learn that

manual transmission <=> automatic

c++ <=> python

lisp is much harder than c++

So the fact that I read through the first few pages of posts and didn't really see an answer to my question automatically makes me a scrub? I'm not going to spend hours of my day looking through thousands of posts from the past year hoping that one of them has the exact answer for my question. If you're not going to be helpful, GTFO.

It's people like you that turn off curious people, looking to learn and expand the tech community, by being an ass. I know that programming is not easy to learn, and I have no delusions on how much time I'm going to have to put into it. As I stated in the OP, I never took any kind of computer course in school, so I really have absolutely no idea where to start, but once I get going I'll be fine teaching myself.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

So the fact that I read through the first few pages of posts and didn't really see an answer to my question automatically makes me a scrub?

I highly doubt that.

I'm not going to spend hours of my day looking through thousands of posts from the past year hoping that one of them has the exact answer for my question. If you're not going to be helpful, GTFO.

Ok ... then let me give the answer which is almost universal for all "where to start programming"-threads:

Start with Python and stick with it until you have mastered it. (mastering =/= finished codecademy course)

Python works perfectly fine for both arduinos and raspberry pi

there is no "standard" path but c and c++ are usually the way to go it'll be hard at the beginning but it'll help you understand all other language way more easily 

Ok, that's what I figured, because I remember friends talking about taking classes for those in school. I'm thinking I'll see if there's one of those "...for Dummies" books to read before I really start working on writing code. Thanks.

If you are a total noob I recommend Visual Basic or python, I lean toward visualbasic.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/MVA is agreat place if you want to C#.

The " Create Your Own OS " probably uses assembly.

I am a total noob, and the only programming I know is the little bit of HTML and CSS that I have learned over the last couple months on CodeAcademy. I've actually downloaded MS Visual Studio (I understand that is used for progamming...?), so I'll check out the MVA. I looked into the "Create your own OS" thing and it looks like it's really just creating a basic text UI, not an actual OS, so I'm not sure if I'm going to really look at that much anymore.

END OF LINE

Start with Python and stick with it until you have mastered it. (mastering =/= finished codecademy course)

Python works perfectly fine for both arduinos and raspberry pi

Thank you. That's all I really needed to know. I do recognize that completing a Code Academy "course" is not equal to mastering a programming language. I just started there because it's free, I didn't know HTML or CSS, and I'm currently unemployed. I'll see what books I can find on Python.

END OF LINE

Thank you. That's all I really needed to know. I do recognize that completing a Code Academy "course" is not equal to mastering a programming language. I just started there because it's free, I didn't know HTML or CSS, and I'm currently unemployed. I'll see what books I can find on Python.

codecademy is a good start. there is a ton of ressources available in the "Ultimate Programming Resources Thread" thread.

good luck finding a job.

Learn INTERCAL and assembly.

I'm just kidding, learn C or C++ first. Eventually, you might want to learn assembly. x86 assembly is fun to learn and pretty easy.

Ok, that's what I figured, because I remember friends talking about taking classes for those in school. I'm thinking I'll see if there's one of those "...for Dummies" books to read before I really start working on writing code. Thanks.

I am a total noob, and the only programming I know is the little bit of HTML and CSS that I have learned over the last couple months on CodeAcademy. I've actually downloaded MS Visual Studio (I understand that is used for progamming...?), so I'll check out the MVA. I looked into the "Create your own OS" thing and it looks like it's really just creating a basic text UI, not an actual OS, so I'm not sure if I'm going to really look at that much anymore.

You can also begin by some base of javascript it's easy to learn and quick it also give you a base for everything else (I'm currently teaching it to a friend and it didn't took much time before he understood the basics)

So, I have wanted to learn programming for a long time, but I was stupid and never took any intro courses while I was in school so now I'm looking to teach myself. I was wondering if there is a "standard" path of progression (or order) for what programming languages one should learn. What I mean is, should I learn C, then C#, then C++, and so on? One of the main things I want to learn programming for is for using Arduinos and Raspberry PIs. I have a bunch of Instructables for making little robots and gadgets using both boards, and they include the programming codes with explainations, but I want to be able to work from scratch. I also found one on how to "create your own OS", which looks like it's just learning some basic coding and creating a super simple DOS like OS. I'm just hoping people have a consensus on what language I should start with. Thanks.

For a Raspberry Pi especially, Python would be great. Python is a great language to get you started on programming. Take a look at this website and/or this pdf.

You really should look at the tons of other posts asking this same question instead of asking this question again unless you have a specific question that has not already been asked.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home