Hifiman HE-500 Cable Replacement

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a replacement cable for the Hifiman HE-500. This is mostly for aesthetic reasons. I'm looking for an all black cable with a 1/4" plug, that's not stiff and microphonic like the stock cable.

I checked some of the cables on the Hifiman site and the only cable that they had with a 1/4" plug was $199 and I'm not looking to spend that kind of money on cables. Here are some of the replacements I've been looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HiFiMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-HE-560-Headphone-Neutrik-Canare-Cable-/171734996362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fc34158a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-Canare-Headphone-Cable-for-HE-400-and-HE-500-Headphones-8-0m-/291187689941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43cc2389d5

This is another one I looked at but does not have a 1/4" plug: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=163

Am I correct in assuming that an aftermarket cable is not going to modify the sound? Are there any other cables below $100 that I should consider? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mimic-cables.com, I think it'd cost you 50-70

Is there anything like that for Audeze LCD-2?

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

Is there anything like that for Audeze LCD-2?

I think you could just contact the guy and tell him what you want

If you don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money usually the only choice is to make it yourself. I usually offer to make one but I'm too busy right now to do that.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the responses. I would like to make my own cable but I'm a little too busy at the moment.

Would it be safe to get it from mimic-cables.com ? Prices seem reasonable enough.

How does a company fuck up the cables?

They find a way, lol.

How do they mess it up?

mimic-cables.com, I think it'd cost you 50-70

Thanks for the response. This seems like the most appealing option right now. Have you purchased from them before?

I just made my own cable....

IMG_6242_zps4e3f94ff.jpg

But seriously, it's not hard to do, cheap, and I get to choose what cable I want....

Thanks, I'll consider that If I eventually have the time. I actually saw your guide on how to do that before I posted this topic. Is it this one?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

Thanks for the response. This seems like the most appealing option right now. Have you purchased from them before?

No, I know a friend who did buy HE-400i cable from him

How do they mess it up?

Honestly, I don't know. I don't think cables are that hard to make.  <_<

This is why I like the stock HD800 cable... it's black and there's no microphonics. Won't work with your HE500s though.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Thanks, I'll consider that If I eventually have the time. I actually saw your guide on how to do that before I posted this topic. Is it this one?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

Yeap that one. Never used that cable again tho, since I got this new, twisted copper one.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't think cables are that hard to make.  <_<

This is why I like the stock HD800 cable... it's black and there's no microphonics. Won't work with your HE500s though.

Assembling, or more precisely, 'connecting' cables to the plugs and connectors aren't that hard. But manufacturing cables from raw materials, I'd imagine take lots of effort. If anything, it's impossible to do without big mold injecting machines.

Yeap that one. Never used that cable again tho, since I got this new, twisted copper one.

Assembling, or more precisely, 'connecting' cables to the plugs and connectors aren't that hard. But manufacturing cables from raw materials, I'd imagine take lots of effort. If anything, it's impossible to do without big mold injecting machines.

Yes, but Hifiman doesn't do that themselves. 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Yes, but Hifiman doesn't do that themselves. 

True. And it's the same case as about 90% of other brands tho, they sub-con their cables to cable manufacturing companies. At least Hifiman is honest enough to leave the original cable's brand, canare, on their stock cables. Either that, or they're just to lazy to erase it :D