PCIE SSD + SLI

Tempestwins
Go to solution Solved by Samsterstorm,

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question here,

In my current setup, I have 2 980's in SLI and I was actually planning on buying the 400 gig version of the intel 750 Series PCIE Varient SSD... Now, I havent really used PCIE SSD's before but my concern is heat affecting it if I put it between by 2 980s.. Anyone here have any thoughts or suggestions?

SLI is bad enough for heat soak and putting a metal shelled SSD between them is not gunna help things! I would get a M.2 one (if ur board support it) or just go for the 2.5inch variant! They are not that much slower and certanily will not be holding it back at all

Hey Guys,

In my current setup, I have 2 980's in SLI and I was actually planning on buying the 400 gig version of the intel 750 Series PCIE Varient SSD... Now, I havent really used PCIE SSD's before but my concern is heat affecting it if I put it between by 2 980s.. Anyone here have any thoughts or suggestions?

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

CoolingCorsair H115i Pro  |  5  x Corsair ML140 RGB Fans  

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

my processor is a 5820, 28 pcie lanes, So I should have plenty.

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

Hey Guys,

SLI is bad enough for heat soak and putting a metal shelled SSD between them is not gunna help things! I would get a M.2 one (if ur board support it) or just go for the 2.5inch variant! They are not that much slower and certanily will not be holding it back at all

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Thanks for the input Samsterstorm. I'll just hold out for Asus to release the Hyperkit for purchase, my mobo is compatible but I was just being impatient and curiosity got the better of me.

Thanks for the input Samsterstorm. I'll just hold out for Asus to release the Hyperkit for purchase, my mobo is compatible but I was just being impatient and curiosity got the better of me.

I wouldn't mate! Thats how you run out of money quickly! Do you really need a 400gb PCI SSD! Get a 1tb 2.5 SSD like a 850 evo for that money!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Hey Guys,

With water cooling  and your 28 pcie lanes it should be possible...

But you know it will nearly have no impact on gaming?^^ The performance may look good on paper, but you don't need this performance unless in the most data intensive worklaod (video editing...)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Need the speed more than the actual space for my day to day. I'm a comp sci masters student doi Mass compiling, debugging, recompiling programs takes a while and anything that'll help speed up my day to day is worth it.. especially since I can probably convince my college to pay for it...I wish I still had the time for games.. but maybe one day soon... when I'm on break :D

You might want to put a fan on the side of that whole setup.

I'd say that SSD is worth is: faster PC boot times and the like.

Need the speed more than the actual space for my day to day. I'm a comp sci masters student doi Mass compiling, debugging, recompiling programs takes a while and anything that'll help speed up my day to day is worth it.. especially since I can probably convince my college to pay for it...I wish I still had the time for games.. but maybe one day soon... when I'm on break :D

Hah gratulation, your one of the few who buy an PCIE SSD and actually need it!

Even though the 750 is quite expensive the price for a GB is not that bad for an PCIE SSD. But I gess you won't need more than 100 GB for the workspace of the compiler and so on.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Hah gratulation, your one of the few who buy an PCIE SSD and actually need it!

Even though the 750 is quite expensive the price for a GB is not that bad for an PCIE SSD. But I gess you won't need more than 100 GB for the workspace of the compiler and so on.

Exactly my friend.. Exactly. Anything more would be a waste. But I'll just throw the OS on it, have my workspace and if I find time for games, maybe a game or two.. all I need.

I figured the impact would be minimal at best and if my OS itself boots faster and runs better, the slight hit would be worth it but I'll just mess around with it, see the compile and deconstruct times it has as a storage drive only and as a boot drive. I'll probably use it as a boot drive though.

I figured the impact would be minimal at best and if my OS itself boots faster and runs better, the slight hit would be worth it but I'll just mess around with it, see the compile and deconstruct times it has as a storage drive only and as a boot drive. I'll probably use it as a boot drive though.

To do this test (reinstalling windows & get the compiler working [the licencing is allways a pain in the ass]) migth use more time than you can save with a lot of software builds. ;)

And the defference will indeed be smal.

now its just a waiting game for asus to let me buy a hyper kit :(