Virgin Builder - RAM question

Go to solution Solved by Comessy,

I believe the ram will work, I see no reason for it not to.

Hi all

So this is going to be my first build, I'll use it mostly to game (4K in the future) with but I'll also do some photo and video editing.

System

CPU - 4790K

Motherboard - Asus Maximus Formula VII

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2400 2x8GBCMY16GX3M2A2400C11A

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 OC Windforce - I'll add another later

PSU - EVGA 850 G2 - overkill I gather but I want to have more juice up my sleeve 

HDD's - Crucial MX200 250GB - OS and Game storage

- Crucial M4 512GB - Quick storage for large Vid files I deal with (I had this for a Blackmagic Hyperdrive that I don't use, so it's going in the rig now)

- WD Black 3T x 2 - for long term storage of photo's, video, etc. I may RAID them and will probably add more later

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, white

Monitor - HD at the moment but will upgrade to 4K or a 3440x1440 when I have more $

Cable mods cables red, because they're super cool

Cooling - Water? Air? suggestions please

So I bought my motherboard and RAM online at the same time and didn't realise that there is a list of compatible RAM configs for the motherboard and my sticks aren't on it.

What would happen if I use them in the build, I've not had the time to start building it yet so haven't tried it out to see if it they would work. 

Partpicker seems to think they are compatible but I want some real person advice.

Cooling - I'd really love to build a hardline water loop just because they are so damn cool but is it really going to be worth it for me? I'm not intending on OC the system for a while if ever so I'm pretty sure it's way over kill.

Any suggestions would be great.

I believe the ram will work, I see no reason for it not to.

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

If you never watercooled,dont start with hardpipe

also that motherboard is exttremely overkill for most people,considering you said you arent going to be overclocking

the ram with work,corsair is a well known brand and its compatible with all common motherboards

Both your motherboard and RAM follow the DDR3 standard so you're good. Also, since you are buying high speed ram you need to make sure to enable XMP settings in the bios. If you don't know how to do this, Google "XMP settings for Asus Maximus Formula VII"

As far as cooling goes, do not do hard line your first time. Personally, I would go air cooling for a first build but if you have your heart set on custom liquid cooling, definitely use soft tubing. It's a lot more forgiving if you make a mistake.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

your good with the ram 95% of the time. don't water cool, a sub $50 air cooling will keep it nice and chill while being quiet....i recommend be quiet cpu cooler they have a nice fan. 

Also welcome to the forums!

If you are going 4k in the future i would recommend you to buy everything Exept for the GPU, And wait for the 300 series from AMD.
But if you need the power Now i would recommend a R9 290x, Since you want Atleast 4gb of full-speed Vram when doing 4k gaming.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

If you never watercooled,dont start with hardpipe

also that motherboard is exttremely overkill for most people,considering you said you arent going to be overclocking

the ram with work,corsair is a well known brand and its compatible with all common motherboards

I totally know the motherboard is overkill for me but I'd rather buy gear that is beyond me at the moment and be able to grow into it later.

And aesthetically it is a beautiful piece of kit, stoopid reason but it is..

I totally know the motherboard is overkill for me but I'd rather buy gear that is beyond me at the moment and be able to grow into it later.

And aesthetically it is a beautiful piece of kit, stoopid reason but it is..

that motherboard isnt more "upgradeable" than any other z97 atx mobo

that motherboard isnt more "upgradeable" than any other z97 atx mobo

I'm talking about upgrading my skills not the board.

I'm talking about upgrading my skills not the board.

Gotta upgrade All them #360NoscopeQuickscope4kUltraSuperGamingSkills

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer