512GB or 1TB SSD for gaming/video e. build

currently halfway through my pc build and im kind of stuck on whether to get 512GB SSD or 1TB SSD im going SSD only so there is more room for fans and its overall a cleaner feel with quiet operation.

its purpose will be mainly for gaming with partial video editing along with school work and the only thing thats really stopping me is the price.

I've read that if you fill an SSD to full it becomes significantly less reliable plus im looking to buy a smaller one in the future for backups and files that i don't use regularly.

im planning on the Samsung 850 Pro's

currently halfway through my pc build and im kind of stuck on whether to get 512GB SSD or 1TB SSD im going SSD only so there is more room for fans and its overall a cleaner feel with quiet operation.

its purpose will be mainly for gaming with partial video editing along with school work and the only thing thats really stopping me is the price.

I've read that if you fill an SSD to full it becomes significantly less reliable plus im looking to buy a smaller one in the future for backups and files that i don't use regularly.

im planning on the Samsung 850 Pro's

Get 2 500s and put them in raid 0

or 2/4 250's and also put them in raid 0

The 250's have the lowest price/GB

don't use your SSD for either a backup drive or a drive to put important data on such as school data, you should get the 512gb SSD and get something like a 2tb harddrive with it to store your games, data etc.

don't use your SSD for either a backup drive or a drive to put important data on such as school data, you should get the 512gb SSD and get something like a 2tb harddrive with it to store your games, data etc.

This^^^ 1000%, get a 2-3TB HDD (Hatachi/HGST, WD, Seagate) for backups and a 512GB 850 Pro as OS/Program drive.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Get the biggest one you can afford. Having tons of super fast storage is wonderful!

I quite like the setup I've gone with for my past two builds, moreso now that SSD's are becoming less expensive.

I've got a small-ish boot SSD, a 1TB SSD for games and programs like Maya/Photoshop/After Effects/etc, and a HDD for data (though this 2TB WD black is rather loud on spinup). This way I keep all my important data like my modelling files, textures I am working on, etc on a safer HDD, while games and programs that can be easily redownloaded will benefit from the high SSD speeds (you could even just use one larger SSD for your OS and programs/games but I had this one already). Most modern HDDs are fast enough to accommodate things like recording directly to them with FRAPS or Dxtory or whatever as well.

Like they said above, do not use SSDs for information you don't want to lose. If they die its gone, but you have a chance of recovery with an HDD. I used a simple and cheap adapter to put my HDD in one of the 5.25" bays, and removed my HDD cages altogether for a clean look. Alternatively you could get an external backup drive if you REALLY want to go full SSD.

littleRed

CPU Intel i7 4790k Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero RAM 32GB G Skill RipjawsX GPU EVGA Titan X Cooling Corsair H105 Case Corsair 760t Black PSU EVGA 1000P2

Storage Boot Samsung Evo 850 256GB Programs Samsung Evo 840 1TB Data WD Black 2TB Display BenQ XL2420G Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Razer Death Adder OS Windows 10

thanks for the quick responses everyone! i would have searched the forums but i couldn't find a search option.

I dont think i'll be doing RAID operation (i dont think RAID 0 means no RAID but could be wrong). What i do know about Raid is its only for security/safety, However I feel like its something i dont need and just something that will over complicate or slow down my computer

my data isnt as valuable as i might have made it sound, I just want to have very quick load times and something as a backup incase anything goes wrong or i somehow get a virus.

I was just thinking that 512GB might get full too quick and it would lose it performance/reliability.

I also just lost my hp pavilion g6 laptop becuase its mechanical hard disk failed so currently im pretty biased against disk drives.

I plan on having this pc for a long time so maybe i'll go with a 1TB then add a 512/256GB later for a back up?

or do you guys think having the OS (Win8.1) on a separate drive is a good idea?

thanks for the quick responses everyone! i would have searched the forums but i couldn't find a search option.

I dont think i'll be doing RAID operation (i dont think RAID 0 means no RAID but could be wrong). What i do know about Raid is its only for security/safety, However I feel like its something i dont need and just something that will over complicate or slow down my computer

my data isnt as valuable as i might have made it sound, I just want to have very quick load times and something as a backup incase anything goes wrong or i somehow get a virus.

I was just thinking that 512GB might get full too quick and it would lose it performance/reliability.

I also just lost my hp pavilion g6 laptop becuase its mechanical hard disk failed so currently im pretty biased against disk drives.

I plan on having this pc for a long time so maybe i'll go with a 1TB then add a 512/256GB later for a back up?

or do you guys think having the OS (Win8.1) on a separate drive is a good idea?

if oyu want to get a 1tb SSD for all your data that's fine, but please for god's sake use a harddrive for your backups because when an SSD fails, you can't get any data off it, if a harddrive fails you usually can still pull data off it (if it isn't mechainically broken)